• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

block heater

rsh4364

Recently purchased a block heater from Derby on here.Its a sb115100-000,1500w,Going to feed it from lower radiator hose,but wondering if I should run through heater core or if it would be better to route into block through a freeze plug with an adaptor welded on?Or into coolant cross-over .Rarely gets below -10 here but who knows.Also he has a really good price on these,1500w should warm things up quick.

Last edited:

rsh4364

You guys were right the hotstart unit is really nice,but much bigger than I thought.Will save for future use.Gonna install Temro 1000w freeze plug heater soon.Thanks for input.

strelnik

I just replaced my 1000 w unit after 21 years of service. Warms the engine for good starts in no time! I like clean, quick starts that wear the engine less, so 0W40 oil and warm-ups whenever possible are the order of the day.

Last edited:

PeeWeeQ

I have one of the circulating heaters--Kat's 1500W--I live in WI where it gets WELL below zero. It's nice to see my hood clear when there is 6" of snow everywhere else. I think it's worth it. Had it for almost 4 years now and I'm glad I spent the $50. I connected it inline with the lowest hose (had to order a custom adapter) and I just saw the first leak start to form a few weeks ago. It's about time to replace the hose anyway, so, it's not a big deal...

ssdvc

I have one of the circulating heaters--Kat's 1500W--I live in WI where it gets WELL below zero. It's nice to see my hood clear when there is 6" of snow everywhere else. I think it's worth it. Had it for almost 4 years now and I'm glad I spent the $50. I connected it inline with the lowest hose (had to order a custom adapter) and I just saw the first leak start to form a few weeks ago. It's about time to replace the hose anyway, so, it's not a big deal...
Any specifics on what you used to do this? Perhaps some pictures? I have been giving a heater some thought. My truck started fine when it was -2 below, but after a 20 mile drive, the heat still wasn't where I needed it to be (and I do block off the airflow in the front).

I like the tank heater types, as I use one on my VW diesel and it does the job. But on my M1009 I have read different thoughts, including how hard it is to run such a heater. Any info to make it simple would be great.

I have read that the freeze plug heater is the way to go, simple to install and it works. Just on the fence and looking for a bit more info.

Thanks.

cucvrus

ssdvc I would just install a GM stock block heater element in the drivers side center freeze/expansion plug of the block and be done with it. You will need to drain the coolant from the radiator. Or you can put a little excitement in your life and just go under there with a long punch and tap the plug out. Have a warm area to go to and DO NOT do it when the engine is hot. I then spin the plug and get ahold of it with a vise grips and pull it out. Clean the hole a bit lube up the new block heater. Carefully tighten it in place. Do not overtighten it. And you are set to go. Of course you will need to route the wiring away from pinch points and secure it away from the shift linkage and steering shaft. But that is how I do it on my plow trucks. Less then $50. and available at the local GM dealer. If you need I can get you the GM part number. Let me know. I am trying to simplify it for you. Good Luck. Have a great weekend.

Also you could use a bolt on radiator block. You can see some of them I made for my CUCV's. I have different lights configuration and never use my canvas cover. Check out some of my Mule posts. Or I will post up my quick easy front winter cover. 4 ja bolts and it is on. No drilling and no paint damage.

Last edited:

dependable

Any specifics on what you used to do this? Perhaps some pictures? I have been giving a heater some thought. My truck started fine when it was -2 below, but after a 20 mile drive, the heat still wasn't where I needed it to be (and I do block off the airflow in the front).

I like the tank heater types, as I use one on my VW diesel and it does the job. But on my M1009 I have read different thoughts, including how hard it is to run such a heater. Any info to make it simple would be great.

I have read that the freeze plug heater is the way to go, simple to install and it works. Just on the fence and looking for a bit more info.

Thanks.
Below is my file photo of an old Katz tank heater installed in a CUCV. This is not the way the directions say to install it, so do so at own risk, as they say. It is the way I found this heater installed on a well used 1008 I bought for a plow truck. That truck was parted due to rust and I put the heater on another truck the same way. It worked well on the plow truck and it works on this truck, which is one of my daily drivers.

The tank heater is fed off heater core on firewall, and goes into the motor on the thermostat housing "cross pipe".

The freeze plug type is a good way to go too, and most of my trucks have these. However, I had this tank heater around a couple years ago and it was winter & I did not want to drain the system and play under the truck in the cold.

Attachments

rsh4364

Thanks.
The block heater just helps with a quicker easier start, if you are having heating problems after driving 20 miles it's probably a thermostat or heater core issue.

rsh4364

Below is my file photo of an old Katz tank heater installed in a CUCV. This is not the way the directions say to install it, so do so at own risk, as they say. It is the way I found this heater installed on a well used 1008 I bought for a plow truck. That truck was parted due to rust and I put the heater on another truck the same way. It worked well on the plow truck and it works on this truck, which is one of my daily drivers.

The tank heater is fed off heater core on firewall, and goes into the motor on the thermostat housing "cross pipe".

The freeze plug type is a good way to go too, and most of my trucks have these. However, I had this tank heater around a couple years ago and it was winter & I did not want to drain the system and play under the truck in the cold.
Same way I plumbed my hot start tank style block heater, works great as long as your thermostat is good.

ssdvc

ssdvc I would just install a GM stock block heater element in the drivers side center freeze/expansion plug of the block and be done with it. You will need to drain the coolant from the radiator. Or you can put a little excitement in your life and just go under there with a long punch and tap the plug out. Have a warm area to go to and DO NOT do it when the engine is hot. I then spin the plug and get ahold of it with a vise grips and pull it out. Clean the hole a bit lube up the new block heater. Carefully tighten it in place. Do not overtighten it. And you are set to go. Of course you will need to route the wiring away from pinch points and secure it away from the shift linkage and steering shaft. But that is how I do it on my plow trucks. Less then $50. and available at the local GM dealer. If you need I can get you the GM part number. Let me know. I am trying to simplify it for you. Good Luck. Have a great weekend.

Also you could use a bolt on radiator block. You can see some of them I made for my CUCV's. I have different lights configuration and never use my canvas cover. Check out some of my Mule posts. Or I will post up my quick easy front winter cover. 4 ja bolts and it is on. No drilling and no paint damage.
Thanks Rick. I think I'll go with the freeze plug heater, but if winter keeps up the way it has, I might not need it. For a winter cover, I just use pipe insulation and tie wrap it to the grill. It's simple, works great and it CHEAP as ****.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would sure appreciate the GM part number...

I would sure appreciate the GM part number.

Thanks In Advance.

T

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks