• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newstar hub seals...

Jeepsinker

Anyone else have problems using the outer hub seals from Newstar? I was going through one of my hubs today and I put it together and snugged up the inner nut, the locating tab sheared off of the seal. I know I've read of people having this problem before but I don't think it was the Newstar seals. Really pi$$ed me off. I had just taken it out of the package and even took the time to hand stamp the replacement date on it. I've never had this issue with other seals, and I don't want to leave the hub nut too loose, but I would like to use the new seals.

welldigger

I had a few new star seals that didn't really want to slide over the spindle. Had to hit the inside of it with a file. I have had them make the outer bearing hot because they were warped. So far I haven't had the key tab break off.

Unfortunately, new star is about the only option with these seals that I'm aware of.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you put grease on it where the nut contacks. I have never had any problems with my outer seal but don't think they were NewStar. Dang recycled beer cans.

deuceman51

Unfortunately you guys are correct on New Star being the only source anymore. Your options are New Star or old OEM seals that might not be much better due to age. With my MV parts business, most of our stuff is New Star anymore. I have honestly never had any customers complain about the seals and we have sold thousands of them. CV boots are the only thing that has so far failed to live up to our expectations. I wish there were US companies that wanted to make them, but I have honestly contacted CR, National, and a few others and they just aren't interested in making them unless we want to talk several hundred thousand seals at a time, which I obviously can't do. Many people fail to grease the seals also and I'm sure that will lead to premature wear. One thing to keep in mind also. These seals were not designed to last more than 6 months-1 year since the trucks were supposed to be serviced and bearings repacked annually or bi-annually. Wish they were oil bath, but also keep in mind the axles were designed in the 40s and it's old technology. I'm just happy that new star and South Korea are still willing to produce the replacement parts for these trucks.

Jeepsinker

I did not grease it where the nut contacts it. I always put rtv there. Like I said I've never had this issue, but I've always used nos hub seals and they are made from a definitively stronger steel. I'll just have to ease up on the torque next time I use a Newstar seal I guess.

welldigger

I did not grease it where the nut contacts it. I always put rtv there. Like I said I've never had this issue, but I've always used nos hub seals and they are made from a definitively stronger steel. I'll just have to ease up on the torque next time I use a Newstar seal I guess.
You must have got a bad one. I have torqued on mine pretty hard and never had this issue. Don't get me wrong I'm not a fan of new star but this particular part isn't absolutely horrible.

Menaces Nemesis

"Little Black Truck" Conservator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I snapped this one off just yesterday, and yes I had the faces greased. It still had plenty of compression against the cup, and the seal surface was still good, I'm sure it would've gone another round if it hadn't broke. I might have snugged it to maybe 75' lbs when it gave. I don't adjust bearings per TM, but by feel/play after the outer nut is tightened. But, from now on, I am going to make sure I only "torque the inner nut to 50' lbs" before adjusting.
IMG_20171211_145505894.jpg

Big Tom

I had trouble with the hubs getting hot after new seals went in. Found that the offset was a lot more than old ones put in 20ths shim behind and fix heat problem . Found nos seals on eBay remove all the new star one and replaced all good now

JDToumanian

I had the key shear off on one... Pissed me off somethin' fierce. I scrapped that seal and used another one and was careful to keep the key pushed the opposite direction as I tightened the nut. At the time I blamed myself, not NewStar, but then I've only ever been able to find NewStar stuff and thus have no experience with anything else.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Wasn't there a popular thread Hot Hub? Yep, Hot Hub that on first glance many of us read Hot Tub.
Information contained within that thread is enlightening.

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?31749-Hot-Hub

The seals are from Korea? Not sure. I don't remember a country of origin on the packaging.
S&S Truck Parts, LLC., the parent company of Newstar, supplies parts & components for medium & heavy duty applications.

s-and-s-logo-header.pngnewstar-logo-header.png
and KIA is in there someplace in that supply chain too.

And the Koreans have really nice rebuilt and new trucks, Like the Deuce.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnPXYGbyiL0

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks