• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hood release, argh

Well, for the past few weeks, I've had an intermittent problem with one of the alternator belts. Periodically when throttling up from idle, something won't catch right, I'll hear a squeal as the belt slips, the GEN2 light will flicker a bit. Not something I was in a terrible hurry to fix, other problems have had precedence, etc, etc.

Now, I've also had problems with the hood release from day one. Sometimes it will pop on the first try, sometimes it's try the handle, pound on the hood, try the handle again, get out the rubber mallet, rinse, repeat.

Flash forward to today when, well, the squealing from the belt stopped... because the belt broke. And, of course, I can't open the hood. I've tried everything short of prying it up that I know of, still won't pop up enough to get to the lever.

So, my question is, what if any tricks are there to getting the hood open? Will unscrewing the hood release handle from the body panel help to take up slack in the cable? Is there I spot I can pry on to get it up? Some voodoo with a coathanger that will unlatch the mechanism?

If I do get it open, how can I make sure this won't happen again?

Jetnoise400

Ahhh the joys of a stretched out hood release cable. My civvy K5 did the exact same thing. Those hood release cables get stretched out over time and voila! No hood release.

I was able to get mine to release by taking a long-ish and rather thin screwdriver, going in the center of the hood, between the closed hood and the core support, and manually pushing on the lever that the cable pulls (I think it hinges toward the driver's side IIRC) to open the hood.

If you look up inside the grille and follow where the release cable goes into the latch, you will see where to look. Then try to peek in that little space with a flashlight and you should see the end of the cable and that's where you need to apply a little pressure to get it to release.

Hope that helps.

papercu

release

Have Soldier 2 hit the hood while you pull the release inside. No Soldier 2, try a forcing a wedge under the hood (between the hood and grill ) and pulling the release.
May have to remove the grill and pop the catch with a screwdriver. Good Luck, Wayne

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: release

My 85 one ton did that if I went wheeling and went thru deep water. Pull the hood latch. Then, just use both hands, and with the heels of your hands, give the hood a good, quick bump, downward on the front corners on each side of the catch. Do this a few times and it should pop up. After you get it open, I found that never seize works great, smear it on the latch and catch. Works for 6 mos or so, depends on how much dirt, mud you expose it to, then it will stick again, and you'll know it's time to re lube it.

AJMBLAZER

RE: release

We call it "Chevy hood" around here. Sorta like the truck version of erectile dysfunction, embarrassing and always at inopportune moments.

Mine occasionally needs the bump and thump method. I've found that like will mentioned a bump towards the cab is the way to go. Don't hit down towards the ground, bump it towards the back of the truck. Sometimes I need to pull the latch in the cab, bump it, and then go pull the latch again.
Eventually it gets hood pins and a fiberglass hood...

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: release

[quote=" Sorta like the truck version of erectile dysfunction, embarrassing and always at inopportune moments...[/quote] rofl How true! NOT the ED yet!!

mangus580

RE: Re: RE: release

Very common chevy hood issue. a 'Fonzie' tap almost always works. Each hood has its own sweet spot. Some like it on the very corner (giving the hood some flex), and some like it right by the latch.

redwolf3

I found that on mine, after a liberal spraying of lubricant to the hood pin and catch mechanism, it pops all on its own by just pulling the hood release cable again. This is after 5 years of tapping in "just the right spot", which did work for quite some time, haha.

Good Luck.

Thanks all! I finally got it open with a long flat screwdriver. From the looks of it, the cable is stretched so much the release doesn't get pulled when I yank on the handle. I think I can crimp/glue/solder something on the cable that will hit the lever properly.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks