• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Steering Wheel Removal

Cdub

There are steering wheel pullers you can use. They screw into the steering wheel and a shaft bolt screws down and pulls the steering wheel off........

but if the wheel is rusty use plenty of penetrating oil over a couple of days and let it sit before trying the wheel puller.

C'dub

nf6x

Feral Engineer
When I pulled the steering wheel on my M38A1, I used a military surplus puller kit that I got on eBay. I don't have a picture handy, but it's a style that looks kind of like a C-clamp. It hooks around the back of the steering wheel hub, and has a screw which bears against the steering wheel shaft.

That wheel was on there really good. The puller marred the back of my wheel hub very noticeably due to the force that was necessary. The wheel broke free with a nice pop after applying a LOT of force with the puller. I probably should have put some penetrating oil in there first like Cdub suggested. When I put it back together, I cleaned the splines and applied some anti-seize compound, so hopefully it'll come off easily next time.

In contrast, when I pulled the steering wheel on my old VW Fastback, I just removed the nut and pulled the wheel off by hand.

Hey, Cdub, your avatar picture kinda creeps me out. :shock: :wink:

maxxplanck

Ok guys I need some help, I have a new steering wheel and a military steering wheel puller. My problem is the nut wont move at all even after a few days of penetrating oil . Any ideas, thanks Rich:?

dabtl

I began this thread a long time ago but it still has a purpose. My suggestion is to apply heat from a torch to loosen the nut.

A couple of years ago, I removed a M135 steering wheel that had been setting in the open for about 15 years. The nut broke apart under pressure and it took a chisel to remove it. Of course, I had to replace the steering column and gear also after that.

Be patient.

rancherrob

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone know where to get the puller? I called Saturn and they said they sold out "long ago". Memphis Equip carries them but they want $245! I only need it for one pull. Anyone want to rent one to me? I'll pay shipping both ways and a rental fee :)

peashooter

Anyone know where to get the puller? I called Saturn and they said they sold out "long ago". Memphis Equip carries them but they want $245! I only need it for one pull. Anyone want to rent one to me? I'll pay shipping both ways and a rental fee :)
Ditto.... anyone have a puller I can borrow. I'll pay shipping both ways.

brianp454

Anyone know the width of the slot on the military steering wheel puller? A picture of the shaft with the steering wheel off? Or a close op of the back view of the steering wheel hub?

peashooter

Anyone know the width of the slot on the military steering wheel puller? A picture of the shaft with the steering wheel off? Or a close op of the back view of the steering wheel hub?
I dont recall what it is. I got it iff without a puller, and remember there being a good method for doing it without a puller from gringletaub.... i cant remember what the method was but add his name to the search.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks