• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 desert pics on the net

blackdog

It's not an official pic but it's a start... sorry for having the hood and door open :roll: It's supposed to represent a small arms repair truck as used in GW1

Attachments

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Man if I knew this would have been a picture someone wanted I would have taken quite a few. The thing is now most of them are relagated to contractors or DA civilians who are working on Army equipment.
The thing I remember about them in the first Gulf War was how easily Soldiers were getting stuck in the very soft Saudia Arabian sands. We had to pull them out with HMMWV's. The DA mechanics in Kuwait had one 1008 jacked up at least 8 inches and were running 37" tires on it

sturkopp

thanx for the quick answers, thats the way it goes:
as long as something is daily stuff nobody cares and a few years later when parts and informations get more and more hard to find you remember and think: Oh man, why didn`t I..... .
In the late 80ties, when the Army had big presence in Germany,I loved to see M1008/9 in training operations, they were cheap and in good condition and you had great choice, now prices have trippled and there is only crap left for sale.

One more reason to keep them alive!!!

visit our Webside: www.usmvp.us

AJMBLAZER

sturkopp said:
In the late 80ties, when the Army had big presence in Germany,I loved to see M1008/9 in training operations, they were cheap and in good condition and you had great choice, now prices have trippled and there is only crap left for sale.

One more reason to keep them alive!!!

visit our Webside: www.usmvp.us
There used to be a guy on www.ColoradoK5.com who was in the US Army and had been stationed in Germany for a number of years. He took his Blazer with him and wheeled some of the local stuff. Blew up his half ton rear end and couldn't find another one like it anywhere...

...then lamented...with 20/20 hindsight...that he should have swapped in some of the 4.56 geared 1-ton axles out of all the M1008's in the junkyards!

Instead he happened across the one 3.73 geared 12 bolt rear axle in Germany and bought it for more than he could have bought both axles out of a M1008.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
CUCV Pic's

These aren't the best in the world but does display there were sand painted CUCV's in the desert. These were taken in the Daharan area in Jan 91 just prior to the start of the air campaign. We gave up the vast majority of our CUCV's prior to leaving port but still had a few left until just days prior to the ground campaign. We still had one during the start of the ground campaign.

The one with the green M1008 behind a berm shows our supply sergeants truck. It was our only CUCV that remained when the ground campaign started. All others had been swapped out with HMMWV's. The supply sergeant built a plywood box on the back before the ground war started. That box, along with a lot of personal junk loaded in that should have been left behind, overloaded the vehicle. Second day of the ground war it got stuck in soft sand due to poor driving. After a lot of yelling and butt kicking the sergeant then proceeded to jump a sand dune with it and broke the frame in half behind the cab and in front of the bed.

My 1009 I just bought on GL, was already painted sand but not sure if it went to the desert or not...kinda doubt it.

This is my first time posting pictures so I hope they come out right and hope it helps.

Attachments

Adamlee

cucv pics from Desert Storm

Fellas, the M1008 pickup I bought from that guy on Long Island...Michael's Classics? The guy who wheels and deals unimogs...anyway, that CUCV was a DS 1 vet with tactical logos and a unit emblem/name. I'll try and dig up old-style 35mm prints and scan them for ya...before we painted it solid semigloss OD, it was all typical green cammo. Had the upside down door "V"s and all.

Adam Lee

Bigmick

My CUCV, taken a while to restore it as the parts are kinda rare in the UK.
Took off the ariel mounts as I don't have any radio kit, and the wings were rusted through where some putz welded them on before I bought it and never rustproofed them, got rid of the 33x12.5x15 mud terrains for regulation size tires. Colour scheme and markings were all taken from pictures in books and vehicles in my buddies yard, just got the 'chevrons' (the Arabic number 8), to add back on the bonnet, back and doors, might respray it as soon as I can source some US Army issue paint, the tan is too yellow and too similar to British 'Light Stone'.

Attachments

FrankUSMC

What you guys need behind your trucks is a 1st Gulf war captured Irac trailer.....just happen to have one. It is a little bigger than a jeep trailer, and the tires have MADE IN IRAC on them.
$450 or best offer.
Trailer and me are in North Carolina.
One of the few, Frank
PS, trailer captured by the 2nd MARDIV

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I still have some of my 1st Gulf war Iraqi captured stuff too. but I was not able to bring a trailer home with me. I did get some great 5 gallon cans I think came out of Japan that still hold diesel to this day.

AlexT

It's a Federal Signal Twinsonic, not a Wheelen.
After I saw the beautiful picture of the Military Police M1009, I don't want to sell the Lightbar any longer. :wink:

sturkopp

@bigmick:
what colour did you use? I did mine with 33303 but I´m not sure if this is the right one.
The colours that are available in Germany are 33303, 383, 30277 and 30372, the last one I think is for making bumper code grounds on the old MERDC-tan???
the first attempt wasn`t that good, so I will have to repaint the hole car.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks