• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-831a Troubleshooting

R Racing

Ok more progress and almost there !!! :) It was a wet day so I decided to pull the inverter . You could tell it had been pulled before from loose and missing hardware . When I went to disconnect p16 it almost fell off. Tried to put it back on but it wouldn't click or seem to stay on? when I looked at the inverter the rubber seal around the connector wouldn't let the connector slide on far enough to click. So I figured why I had it out Id take it apart clean and check everything . Well let me tell you ! The housing around it could survive a drop from the top of the empire state building !! After much tinkering I was able to get it apart . Cleaned it and dried it well. Check the fuses they were fine. checked everything I could put my meter on, all looked good! It appears its a very heavy built unit. While pulling it apart I found the door switch jammed, So it thought the door was open. Plugged it back up and mounted it and 224 VAC now and 113 VAC at the outlet :) I plugged a small heater in the outlet. it didn't take long to trip the overload CB10 I believe. But it reset after a min. Next issue is no power to the main terminals. The switch on the front panel checks out. But the main contactor doesn't seem to be latching ? I also May need to replace the starter contact as well as it clicks sometimes. but the starter doesn't seem to always engage. Thanks for every ones help !! and if you have any suggestion's please chime in !!

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats great news.

When you flip the output switch to "Close" does the power contactor close but opens when you let go of the switch?

R Racing

I don't feel the contactor move but it could be. It was raining so hard I was trying to be careful of what all I was grabbing lol. I'll see if I can get a second set of hands to be certain.

R Racing

Well went out today to troubleshoot the relay for power output not working. And it works now. Lol . So if anyone has a idea where I can get a overload unit for the 110v recepitical. Please let me know. So now on to the second unit. Till the new voltage adjust pot shows up. Thanks for everyone's help. Now let's see what suprises the next 1 will have! Lol

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I should have asked how it tripped.. Was it the overload or the GFI? You have to reset the overload manually via the little button on the top.

Dampness won't have as much affect on over current. Only on GFI trips. Those reset on the front buttons.

R Racing

It was the overload on the back top side of the black box. The gfi never tripped. I used the same small heater on my mep 531a and it works great. But even on low (500 watts ) it trips the overload.

Last edited:

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
From the TM.

Interrupter, Ground Fault (PN: 19541, VPN:29410)

Technology Research Corporation (TRC)
5250 140th Avenue North
Clearwater, FL 33760
Attention: Marge Matson or Ray Wood
Phone: 727-535-0572, ext. 327
Fax: 727-535-4828

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks