• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton run flat wheel?

smittyjr355

I bought a truck a while back and really didn't pay that close attention to the wheels. I'm pretty sure they are run flat wheels? Are the wheels "rare" because this is the first set I've seen on a truck and do they hold more value then the standard combat wheel? Thanks

Attachments

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
They look like normal 900 series rims to me. "Run flat" has nothing to do with the rim....it has to do with an insert inside the wheel that allows the tire to be deflated to very low PSI and not break the bead. You do have to have a tubeless rim and tire to use a run flat insert.

MtnSnow

They really don't hold much extra value in the surplus market due to several pros & cons with them. The biggest issue with them is trying to take them out and then put them back in a replacement tire. They are kinda like a bead lock but of course have a center section that is built up so if you think a bead lock is a pain just multiply that by 10 lol. They are also a pain to try and balance...

Here is a Bead lock
20boltforgedalumbeadlock.jpg

and here is a Run Flat
runflat.JPG

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do fmtv rims come originally with run flats?
FMTVs did not have runflats, but 1st Gen Caiman MRAPs which use the same wheel and tire did use runflats, and there are lots of those available at the present due to the MRAP scrapping. Not real sure how to tell what is inside a 395 other than to weigh it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks