• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M925 air brakes

Kerogane

I took my truck for a long drive yesterday and on the way home the low air light came on. I notice that the air dryer hadn't been "belching" like it usually does then I noticed air being released from the air dryer exhaust port when the engine was running. Any ideas? Hope something is just stuck from sitting. It has 522 miles on a complete rebuild. THANKS!

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes take it apart and clean it. You should also replace the filter they should be changed yearly.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
the quick fix is to push up a screwdriver or such inside the black plastic cup to re seat the plunger.

I rebuilt mine but for what I paid, there is now a flood of them out there original or mrap style for the same money. Easier to R&R than rebuild. Which I would have waited.....

Check the classifieds out.

bcowanwheels

Remove the air line (big one) from the air compressor and dump as much alcohol in it as will go,reconnect hose. Crank it up and let circulate. Then repete process 3-4 times. Should free up comtamination inside air dryer. Once working again change filter on dryer.

Kerogane

I will try the alcohol, if I don't drink it first! What happens if you take the four bolts off and the cover to gain access to the rubber? I thought it might be full of grit. Is there such a thing as A diagram of this air dryer? THANKS! Mike

quickfarms

Alcohol should never be used with an air dryer. It probably just needs a good service and cleaning. When working correctly they do not purge often, usually just when the governor unloads the compressor.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will try the alcohol, if I don't drink it first! What happens if you take the four bolts off and the cover to gain access to the rubber? I thought it might be full of grit. Is there such a thing as A diagram of this air dryer? THANKS! Mike
The plastic cup is just a dust shield. You could see the piston and o ring if extended far enough with the dust shield removed but the piston can not be removed as it is held by a screw internally from the other side after the spin on filter is removed.

Mine was sticking and I sprayed silicone spray to lube it before I rebuilt it. Make sure any lube is o-ring rubber safe!

Last edited:

mcmullag

The A2 I currently own was doing that when I picked it up, air dryer leaking air.
I got a rebuild kit at a truck parts place for $167 including tax.
Part # DQ6026 upper part
Part # DQ6020 lower part

The CTIS things above the axles makes the farting noises and
the air dryer thing does the short loud hiss sound just like you hear on a tractor trailer going down the highway.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't have a diagram but I can explain the process with pictures.

Remove the screws holding the dust cup then remove the dust cup. This can be difficult with paint on the outside and grit on the inside. Just remember that it's plastic before you go grabbing the hammer.

IMG_20150209_205138_216.jpg

Next you need to remove the snap ring so the whole assembly can be pulled out.

IMG_20150209_205120_205.jpg

Next you need to pull out the assembly. This was the most difficult part as there are two O-ring in there to seal the two chambers and they do their job well. You need a pair of pliers like in the picture with good teeth. Needle nose flex to much and Channellocks make you pull at an angle. Pull on one side and then the other. You will think you are getting nowhere but it'll eventually start coming out. There is nothing behind there to pop out at you. You're pulling the whole assembly.

IMG_20150209_205003_015.jpg

After you have the assembly out you can see the plunger for the signal air chamber. When the governor detects cut out pressure it sends signal air that depresses the plunger, which vents system air to atmosphere. When signal air is removed, the spring below the plunger closes the valve. When grit and grime get into the signal air chamber, or if everything was really dry, the spring is not strong enough to close the valve.

Use a Allen key to hold the plunger while you remove the bolt on the bottom. Remember the spring inside while doing this. After it has been cleaned, apply a thin film of marine grease (usually green) to the plunger seal and inside the chamber. Moisture doesn't affect marine grease as much and the O-rings won't mind it.

IMG_20150209_204824_775.jpg

IMG_20150209_204806_713.jpg

IMG_20150209_204816_957.jpg

Here you can see the signal air chamber which is in the center. The walls need to be clean and smooth. Apply a light coat of grease in here.

IMG_20150209_204838_555.jpg

This will get your valve back in shape but the whole dryer still needs to be serviced. I just bought an updated one since the cost would've been about the same to service the old one.

Hope this helps.

Kerogane

WORKED GREAT! Amazing what just a very small amount of grit can do. Wonder how these trucks even operated in sandy conditions? You think I should buy a spare air dryer while they are available? THANKS AGAIN! Mike

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks