• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

deuce front axle & grease

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
Gents...
I just got the front axle apart(not touching the chunk today) and the driver's side of the housing was at least half full of grease behind the oil seal. anyone seen this before? I have a sneaking suspicion that this is why the vent is fouled up. :roll:

OK here is the real question...
how hard to I work to clean the axle housing? I have scraped out most of the grease already. would you make up a swab to clean it all the way or just let the gear oil and time handle the remnants?

jasonjc

I'm doing the same thing you are. I found some grease in the one side not too much thought. I just scoop it out then whiped it out with a rag. It was just at the end. I'm going to change out the oil thought too. I also found the oppsit in the rears mostly oil and no grease :evil:

jwaller

I found the same thing in mine. a little grease behind the oil seal. I removed what I could wiped the rest and let time do it's job with the left overs. I don't think grease is going to hurt the 80-90. I did learn that you need to use a lite coat of RTV on the oil seal retainer. first time around I did it dry and in about 3 days my boots were wet with 80-90.

I too replaced my boots with nonzipper style. looks much nicer and will keep the water out better.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
not a little grease... the axle tube was half full from the seal nearly to the center section... pounds of grease

acetomatoco

I really get confused on this one...there should be no GL1 anywhere near the knuckles.. there is a inner oil seal way out at the chuck (chunk) to prevent oil from getting into the axle housing.. It is fine to have some GAA in the hubs, keeps em from rusting...when you grease the two fittings on the kingpins the extra has to go somewhere... Old motor sergeants from the Conestoga Wagon days of Motor Stables remembered that wagon hubs were filled with grease..(so guess what they did when they got trucks..)... A light film of GAA is all that is needed. The axle joint if it is the open style can be hand packed, etc... In the rear, you have a inner and outer hub seal and no inner axle seal so some GL1 does migrate into the axle housing...that is why you need to have the little cork gizmo and seal the keyway...as you do not want it to get on the brakes... Never overfill the double reduction gear boxes and a knuckle depth below the fill hole is OK, as it expands when hot and foams if overfull and when your vents are clogged... guess where the oil goes????? Usually thru the output shaft seals..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks