• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WC54 Seat Frame Plans

SidB

I have been hunting for a pair of WC54 seat frames for my truck with no luck. I have thought to take an alternative route. Would anyone have a seat without the upholstery on it that they would be willing to take a number of digital photos of, with a ruler visible, so I can use the photos to create plans for one in sketch-up and build them myself? Happy to share the digital plans later if there is any interest.

I appreciate anything you could share.

Thanks and regards,

tankdriver

I have a early WC63 with no cushions, well I actually have 2 set of cushions, but only put them on when used. They are the high side bucket ones.

Is this what you need?

Attachments

Last edited:

tankdriver

There is a Civil War / Military show in Memphis next weekend, I'll have it there, if you want to come by and take all the measurements you want. I'll have my WC63, and 57mm, a buddy's jeep, and 37mm, and several more vehicles.

FrankUSMC

Wrong seats.
The WC54 had a leather type seat. They are also very hard to find. I have had a couple of WC54s, my first one had the correct seat. I got very lucky and found a guy who had several WC54s. He was selling his collection, and one of his parts trucks had the correct seats. This was back in the mid 1980s. If you can find a set, you will love them, they are very comfortable.
Now, before you commit suicide with a tire iron, after WWII when the WC54s were going though rebuilds, just about every one were refitted with late war open cab weapons carrier seats. The original seats were nice, but fragile. At wars end they needed to be replaced. The late war seats are like the ones that Tankdriver has a photos of but with low sides, not the high sides. Just about every WC54 I have seen, has the weapon carriers seats in them.
Do you have the brackets for mounting the seats in the WC54?
I wish you luck on the seats, the WC54 is a great vehicle!
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

SidB

Tankdriver and FrankUSMC, thanks for your notes. Frank you are correct the WC54 seats are very hard to find and most were replaced long ago. I did see a photo on the web of a correct on thus my thought to try and build the frame and then take them to an upholsterer to get the back and seat cushion made. What I do not have is the correct scale, so that was why I was asking for a photo with a ruler in it. The seats I have are mounted to the original frame so that does help.

Attachments

FrankUSMC

Sid
if you can make those seats, you are going to fall in love with them!!! I can tell you, I have fallen asleep in them while sitting in my first ambulance waiting for a parade to start!
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

SidB

NozForwood, Thanks for your post. Fortunately I was able to find a pair of WC54 seat frames in pretty good condition at a yard in the south of France. Shipping cost almost what the frames were but they worked great.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks