• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Surplus Looking for a mentor.

Mattell

Hi Folks

I have started buying surplus equipment to resell. I am very new to this. Is there a specific forum where these topics take place. I have all kinds of Q's about different bases and "no gl asst provided". I really want to get a handle this side of the business. Shipping trailers for example. Using gl's shipping vs uship. Would like to find some guys already picking up and start some type of relationships if possible. I read some threads on EUC items and am still wondering about the ramifications of reselling the items. What does it take to get approved to ship globally. Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Regards, Mattell

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
To ship globally, you MUST have US State Department approval on each item that is part of an EUC lot, or plan to spend a lot of time in a place that makes Attica look like summer camp. It is likely you will need approval on non-EUC items also - that is why so many surplus dealers will not ship even to Canada.

Mattell

SCSG-G4

Thanks for the input. I am going to find out what getting approved entails. I don't have any plans on selling abroad now but think it maybe a good idea to start any process that maybe needed for the future. Several of the threads I read showed guys taking a copy of a state issued drivers license for proof, I can't see that being enough for the federal government. I have been selling most of the equipment I have purchased to pay for the cherry picking of nicer equipment for toys for lack of a better word. I feel like I am a little ignorant right now with the regs though. I purchased my first EUC genset this week, I have a home for it attached to a shop building of mine that I use maybe 30 hours a month. My MEP-004a that was there died a horrible death last month and needs a new motor, hopefully one from Melton will come up for bid soon. I was looking around the shop though and remembering past items that I have sold, when the time comes I want a way to sell this unit and protect myself. No genset is worth becoming a guest at the medieval summer camp.
One thing I would live to get figured out is recovery. Getting some of this equipment loaded on a truck is tough. They will forklift/tailgate load a 4k lbs skid but not a 4k lbs trailer. Does this change with each place. I have passed on several items due to fear of cost and lack of relationships. Shipping agents have burned me to many times recently regardless of pricing. Enough of the rant. Again thanks for reply.

Mattell

Mattell

I am still here. Have a building in Highland, work in POK. Like the area. The school district had tons of $$ for a long time, after the plant was sold that has gone away. The staff and there spending is the same. The can watch and listen to the games during the year, they sure do get riled up during football.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting ideas Mattel and I wish you the best of luck and do not take this as an attempt to discourage you at all in any way. Go to google.??? and search under military surplus and see what you find keep in mind EVERY one of the results of this post are going to be your competition! You had better have really deep pockets so you can buy in VOLUME and afford to sit on product until it sells! You will be working in a market where anybody sitting in their kitchen with a computer and NO OVERHEAD will be selling products as cheap as you are buying them for because to them its a HOBBY, not a business or a living!
I wish you the best and good luck!
Karl

Mattell

Karl
Your post sums up several of the reasons I posted this thread. I have been googling for awhile. It seems if there is a margin shipping eats it up unless the unit is non issued perfect. The condition codes are terrible. Lots of pitfalls. There is a small market out there for properly running equipment with less risk than the pot luck buying surplus equipment from GL pictures. I am certainly not quitting the day job. Thank you for the input.

Martell

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks