• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Long wheelbase 1948 cj2a?

THE MACHINIST

I found a long wheelbase 48 cj2a not far from where I live and was told it was factory. How rare is this and how do I tell if it is indeed factory or just someones creation. It looks like

The image beliw without the top or racks. It is supposed to run and drive and from pics looks fairly solid and rust free. With that being said if its factory and as advertised what's it worth ballpark.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...g&tbm=isch&client=safari&ved=0CCkQMyghMCE4yAE

thanks

jamie

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That picture is a concept M38 ambulance. The Army toyed with the idea but they never went in to production. I'm not sure if any survive, but if so they would be EXTREMELY rare. I've never seen a photo of a LWB CJ2a.

Last edited:

FrankUSMC

I have seen CJ2As that were made into fire jeeps that had the frames lengthened. I do not know if the factory did it or fire truck manufacturer. I would lean more towards the fire truck builder.
The little fire trucks were used at big factories for fire protection.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

18operator

My father has a CJ-6 from 1956. It looks like it has the same body from the windshield back. But the front has the more rounded look.

THE MACHINIST

The one I found is at an auction near Spokane wa at a volunteer fire dept in Odessa

the picture on the auction site was not clear so I had them send me some better ones. Unfortunately the conversion is very crude. I was hoping for that mythical unicorn.

18operator

You don't see many of the long wheel base jeeps. My Dad found his in a church parking lot sitting under a tree. The only time the church used it was when they had to plow the drive and lot. Very low miles.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks