• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Head gasket questions

rdixiemiller

When the head gasket blows on an LDT 465 1D, where does it usually let go? Between cylinders? Or into the water jacket? I know Westech had a leaker, and others have too. I am just curious where the failures occurred.
If everyone who has had one or seen one blow would chime in, I would appreciate it!

Thanks in advance

rdixiemiller

OK. I have a lot of oil that has come out of the side, so I am probably safe in assuming there is a head gasket issue. I will get a set from Saturn and have at it.
Westech, were your heads warped? Or did you just surface them because you already had the off?

Lee Alessi

ok, all the head gasket talk has got me thinking. i need to replace some seals/gasket anyway....

1) how long does it take to replace the head gasket?
2) other than the headbolt tool, any other special ones needed?
3) if i buy a whole gasket set, can i regasket/seal the motor in the truck, or do i need to pull it?

Westech

CPL
you can do everyting in the truck, lots of room to move around. I did have my heads shaved BUT YOU MUST RESET THE VALVES. find the tm on the heads and the shop should have no problem doing it. If you dont kiss the motor goodbye. it took me 3 weeks of a hour or two a coule times a week but I replaced every hose and gasket but the oil pan and mains ( now seaping) The only tool you need is that head nut wrench. I made my own and it works great but for 20 bucks or whatever it might just be ez'er to buy.

rdixiemiller

Is the valve/piston clearance that close at TDC? I have always watched that my intake valves did not hit the pistons at full open, but I was not aware that they were so close at TDC. What kind of piston clearance were you shooting for?

Westech

CPL
umm I had all the paper work but it was trashed at the shop ( paper and oil hmmm...) but its the heat you have to watch out for. if there too close to the piston the edges of the valves will melt off.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks