• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Talk Me Out of This M1009

M35A2usmc

Hi guys, I've been looking into getting one of these trucks for a while and found this one for a good price. The reason I'm asking for help is because this would be my first truck and I'm looking for advice on it. I'm not looking for a huge amount of work that needs to be done right away, if you see something major please let me know. The truck is a 1985 with 94,000 miles, never taken off-road. I am kind of on a short timeline so fast responses would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Matt

Attachments

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Returning it to Military? All slingpoints absent. Not a deal breaker but the price could add up if you have all that shipped in. Pintle and trailer wiring gone but that may not matter to you. The tailgate rust is typical. I'd be checking all the floors and around the windshield and where the topper bolts on for rustage.

M35A2usmc

Returning it to Military? All slingpoints absent. Not a deal breaker but the price could add up if you have all that shipped in. Pintle and trailer wiring gone but that may not matter to you. The tailgate rust is typical. I'd be checking all the floors and around the windshield and where the topper bolts on for rustage.
I want it to look military but I would just re-paint it and find a hitch to put on it. Here's the ad.

"Selling 1985 k 5 cucv 94,000 runs & drives great 4 wd perfect some minor rust floor & rockers repaired flat black great on gas"

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it runs and drives OK and the price is right, could be good. Take the oil fill cap off and let it warm up. If it blows out quite a bit of smoke, she might be wore out.

fitz

How can the seller claim its never been off road unless they personally know everyone that's driven it over the last 30 years.
How does it run & drive?
Still 24 volts?
The seller claims its good on gas?

M35A2usmc

If it runs and drives OK and the price is right, could be good. Take the oil fill cap off and let it warm up. If it blows out quite a bit of smoke, she might be wore out.
How can the seller claim its never been off road unless they personally know everyone that's driven it over the last 30 years.
How does it run & drive?
Still 24 volts?
This would concern me a bit. Did they swap out the engine?

Bert
Ok I will give him a text I have a video of it running and don't know how to post.

M35A2usmc

How does it run & drive?
Still 24 volts?
I know what your saying about the 30 year old truck being driven on road. I meant has it been off-roading since he's been the owner.

M35A2usmc

"Truck is still 24 V it is the same 6.2 Detroit diesel motor as far as the shipping points or hitch it did not come with the truck when I bought it" this is what he said

M35A2usmc

Will this be your only vehicle or a weekend toy?
It will be my only vehicle but I can afford for it to need fixing for a while my school and work are in the same town. That being said I still don't have my permit and I can do some restoration if I do choose to do so.

fitz

As long as your prepared for the occasionall down time, they can be great vehicles to own.
Like any 30 year old vehicle, things will go wrong from time to time.

M35A2usmc

As long as your prepared for the occasionall down time, they can be great vehicles to own.
Like any 30 year old vehicle, things will go wrong from time to time.
Yeah I'm fine with I live in a small one light town lol. All my friends work on trucks and tractors so if I need help I can ask. Thank you guys I'll update how it goes.

Durango_USMC

If you get it check all the seals and gaskets (especially oil seals on axles), do the doghead relay mod asap, check to make sure the parking brake isnt frozen (may cause issues down the road with a wheel drum locking up).

Read the CUCV wiki and -10 manual before you go look at it. Good luck.

Woodsplinter

In looking at the pics you posted, the frame is cracked in two places and it is obviously sprung. (Twisted out of shape).
Probably good for scrap..

Just kidding! (You said to talk you out of it :) )

M35A2usmc

In looking at the pics you posted, the frame is cracked in two places and it is obviously sprung. (Twisted out of shape).
Probably good for scrap..

Just kidding! (You said to talk you out of it :) )
Whoa you scared me for a second lol. I've dealt with a cracked frame in a buddy's truck. Just got it running and drive we were backing up all of a sudden bang, his dad turned around his face looked like a gun went off.

fitz

Spend some time reading through the old threads. Chances are whatever problems you have in the future have already been discussed & resolved on this site.
Whenever I have a problem with my M1028 I just type it into Google and it sends me right to Steelsoldiers. When I Googled " CUCV starts then stalls" it lead me right to this site and many threads about a leaking fuel filter base.
I'm on this site daily, but rarely post because any problems I've had have already been resolved on this site.
The members on here can walk you through any problems that you run across.

M35A2usmc

Spend some time reading through the old threads. Chances are whatever problems you have in the future have already been discussed & resolved on this site.
Whenever I have a problem with my M1028 I just type it into Google and it sends me right to Steelsoldiers. When I Googled " CUCV starts then stalls" it lead me right to this site and many threads about a leaking fuel filter base.
I'm on this site daily, but rarely post because any problems I've had have already been resolved on this site.
The members on here can walk you through any problems that you run across.
Yeah this site is amazing, everyone is really helpful.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks