• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Any body live and have some storage to rent near Fort Hood,Tx ?

1951M1078

Need to find a place to rent and store a M1079. Will need to be able to work on the truck. This truck has all the fluids out of it ? So I need to work through that and bring it back to being road worthy. If I can't work that out It will get towed back to AZ. (Man they get alot for that pull !) Would rather put it into the truck. I will have all the tools I will need.
Thanks for the input, Randy !

ke5eua

It's it located on hood at the GL/IP lot or off post?

What is your time frame for working on it?

You said all fluids, does this include diffs?

Would you provide the tow to the storage location or would you need it towed also?

There are a couple of us around the area but kinda need a little more to go on.

My 818 is down for the count at the moment but I'm one if the closet to hood that is on here daily. There are a few others but all I do is sit at home a work on the truck getting it operational again.

Need to find a place to rent and store a M1079. Will need to be able to work on the truck. This truck has all the fluids out of it ? So I need to work through that and bring it back to being road worthy. If I can't work that out It will get towed back to AZ. (Man they get alot for that pull !) Would rather put it into the truck. I will have all the tools I will need.
Thanks for the input, Randy !

1951M1078

Thanks for the reply,Mike!

I think it is the GL lot. Think its on post ?

As for moving it ,If I could make a pull with my semi/rv with a tow bar I would have that covered. If not I would need to get it towed. Here is a photo of my Truck. Pulled lots of stuff but never tried a Mil tow bar ? I'm set up for bumper pull but don't have a pintel mount. That could be added to the 2" x 2" receiver mount.

As for time , the auction is Wed next week. So I would need to get it out by the following Wed. Was thinking head over Monday. Will take me 2 days+- from AZ.

When it comes to what they have removed ? I was just thinking of doing everything. And I don't even know i it can run ?

How far are you from the base ?

Off the subject but could I just tow it to AZ. with a tow bar ? Would think the drive-shafts would need to be pulled but is this even something to think about. Think its called a flat tow ? But its like 1000 miles.

And thanks for the interest ! Randy

Attachments

ke5eua

You could defiantly pull it to AZ. If you have a medium duty towbar that will do it just fine, especially with your rig. I have a class 5 pintle, 2 1/2 x 2 1/2, don't know if your rig has a class 5 and your just using a reducer. A set of tow lights and air connected to the truck and your golden. Pull drive shafts at the diffs and make sure the diffs are full of fluid. I also have a set of wireless tow lights, but a cheap set of hv tow lights would work just as well.

If it is an auction item pm me the details and I'll go on post tomorrow or monday and look it over for you. The ip guy on hood is real nice and doesn't mind me taking a peak every now and then.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cool RV. That's all you need to do, drive over here within the allotted pick up time, check the axle lubes, latch onto it and hightail it home. The diesel both ways will be half of a professional haul. Don't try to drive the LMTV.

1951M1078

Thanks , fe5eua !

That would be very cool of you to take a look for me ! Here is the link.

My receiver is a 2" x 2" ,think its considered a class 3 ? I built it and it is very over built !

As for a tow bar, you tell me what is needed and I will get it. One thing I don't have is air for the trailer systems. When I built the semi I did not think I would ever need it. Its at the cab but that is it. Would need to run the lines ? I may need some time to get all this stuff together,maybe a week or two ?

When it comes to lights, think I would just get a kit.

Another question about towing. My semi/rv is registered for under CDL. What kind of trouble will I be in pulling a 18,000 lbs. truck ? The heaviest trailer I have pulled was 17,000 lbs. But I was not on the Interstate ? Being a Totorhome I don't go to the weight stations. On the trip back I would figure at least one for each state . Ideas ?

Thanks again for you help !

Randy

Last edited:

1951M1078

Thanks NDT. It would be a LOT less ! The quote I got was $4900 . My fuel cost would be about $900 to 1200.And that is both ways. He would be getting $4.90 a mile. Think I would have been a drive if I could get that. That's like $294 per hour.:shock: At least at 60 miles a hour. LOL

ke5eua

I'll pm you regarding your questions. Edit you post with the link and remove it, not allowed to post links to active or pending auctions. Don't want you to get in trouble.

1951M1078

Oh, I looked at that one. A little more than I was looking to pay $16,000. And it has some issues . I will problem be wrong but going to TX. but it may be better ? Thanks for the heads up.

1951M1078

Hi, Justin.
Tried to call Fri. Just rang.

That would be great,but I don't know how ready it is for the trip. Oh, and I don't own it yet ? LOL

Wish I know it was ready and could be on the road. Add said the fluids have been drained ? Not sure what fluids.

What kind of dollars are you looking for to put in tow ? Nothing should be done for free.

Thanks again for the offer ! Randy

ke5eua

Randy, I'll give you a report Monday on what it looks like and what fluids are drained and still there. I have an appt in the morning so I'll head that way after that.

1951M1078

Thanks for the up date and help, Michael !

I can't say thank enough. Being so far away and getting offers of help make me think things are not so f@#k with the World.

If you say its good to go and I get the bid maybe I could have Justin tow it ? But I will need to get to Wed. bidding first .

I will PM you with another one thats going on the block on the 29.

Thanks again ! Randy

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks