• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My 1952 M38a1

Dead pilot

This is my 1952 M38a1. I bought it off a friend of mine and this is how he had. He put HMMWV seats in it and a Chevy S10 motor with 3 speed jeep trans and transfer case and a rear bench seat. And did the desert camo paint job with the Army markings. He also put the CJ5 grill on it.

I plan on putting the old hurricane motor original style trans and transfer case back in which I have all three just have to rebuild the motor. I also and putting the stock style grill back in with the light and going back to 24v. I will probably get rid of the rear seat and get the original style seat too. Then paint it Marine Corps forest green with yellow markings. If I can find the raised air intake and exhaust I love to put those one too.

20140901_152909.jpg20140901_152919.jpg20140901_152923.jpg20140901_152936.jpg

Maverick1701

Sharp looking M38A1! Those HMMWV seats are pretty comfy compared to the stock hmmwv seats. I have been considering that mod to my M38a1.

Dead pilot

Thanks. They are better then the stock ones but I am trying to go back to stock look. Since it will be used at different shows sometimes

Dead pilot

I'm starting to rebuild a L head engine to put back in my M38a1. I'm looking for tips for repainting the engine. So far this engine seems to be in good shape, just have to get the valves out and cam then I can get to cleaning.

Jeeagle

I'm starting to rebuild a L head engine to put back in my M38a1. I'm looking for tips for repainting the engine. So far this engine seems to be in good shape, just have to get the valves out and cam then I can get to cleaning.
You mean F-Head right? I don't know of any 38a1s to get L/flat heads. However I can answer some questions and post some photos of a F head I rebuild and painted. I can say if it was 100% correct but looked real nice.

Dead pilot

You mean F-Head right? I don't know of any 38a1s to get L/flat heads. However I can answer some questions and post some photos of a F head I rebuild and painted. I can say if it was 100% correct but looked real nice.
Yes F head. I was talking to some about them and well I mixed them up. The biggest question right now is with the tear down, do you have to have the special tool to get the valves out or is there another way

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Jeeagle

There is a spring compressor designed for Flathead engines you will have to use to remove the valves. Like a big "C" clamp. There are some who just hit the valves with a hammer pooping the keepers off and doing it that way but I do not care for the caveman approach.

Depending on how much of the rebuild you are going to do I would just suggest having the machine shop deal with the Valves, Guides, seals, etc. As well as Cam bearings if applicable in any situation. At least that is what we do. Save time by alot.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks