• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bottom of air dryer leaking. In parking lot

frioman

I know I can search this, but please forgive the directpost. I still have some daylight so i'm asking for help immediately. Using my phone so not sure if phto will display. I'm in my M923 A1, the air dryer has constant air being released from the very bottom most part of the dryer. Any thing I can do to get this truck home so I can take my time to resolve properly and get out of this parking lot?
20150429_131934.jpg

Last edited:

jasonjc

That's looks like the purge vale, they get stuff/junk stuck in there. Try looking up in it or spray some thing up there. Some times they will clear themselves when the air bleeds all the way off.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Nope wont do anything the part comes out from inside. Spray wd40 in there push it back up. When you reach governed pressure and the governor tells the unloader to stop making pressure it also makes the air dryer purge moisture thru the expello valve. Which is what is stuck open on your truck. Its supposed to spring back up.

frioman

Not yet. Can I push the heck out of it. I tried without the wd-40 and it didn't budge. Have wd-40 now. About to try it.

Bandit02

Mine did this too with the original air dryer. May need a punch/soft hammer to pop back up but mine went up with just a finger's push. Replaced it with a bendix AD-9 with 24v heater

frioman

That didn't stop the dryer leak. When I shut the engine down, I heard what sounded like a new leak under the engine cowling. It was this (photo). Coming through one of the holes, not the liNe connections.
20150429_142429.jpg

I'll admit I'm no mechanic, but with help from the site i've been able to maintain it myself. Thanks for the help.

frioman

I got it going. Still leaking, but barely. It's holding 120 psi. I should make it home. Guys, once again...thanks to all of y'all.

Bandit02

Looks like that new leak is from the exhaust port of the fan-stat valve. Again, mine started leaking out the exhaust port about 2 weeks ago and I've replaced that too.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got it going. Still leaking, but barely. It's holding 120 psi. I should make it home. Guys, once again...thanks to all of y'all.
Frioman,
Just catching up to your dilemma, looks like your big unit is in need of a little preventative maintenance, she's talking to ya. Glad you got her home. Need to carry tools and supplies when you're out and about.
JC

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
there are several folks in the classifieds selling new OE complete drier units very reasonable and mrap style replacements that will also work perfectly. They are much cheaper than trying to source all the parts for a complete rebuild not to mention labor time. Just a fyi, ask me how I know :-(

datadawg

I had the exact same problem with my m923a2. Had it sitting all winter outside and when I fired up the truck, it wasn't building pressure. I hadn't been able to use it for 2 months, but today decided to try something. There was air coming out of the same bottom orifice the OP mentioned, you could feel it and hear it. I took off the cover, it's held together by 3 screws. You could then see a snap washer, which I removed. That didn't do anything, but there was a nut visible in the center of the housing. I turned it with a wrench a couple times counterclockwise, but it was free wheeling. So I turned it clockwise for good measure. I then fired up the truck and to my glee there was no more leaking air. Pressure reached 120 PSI and I was on my way.
I don't know if this was a fluke or it will leak again in 5 miles. Any thoughts?
I tried to upload photos, but wasn't able to, sorry.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks