• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I "HATE" John Deere!!!!

Madmedic

Ohhhhhhh, The OWNER of the dealership we're going to LOVES US at this point. (probably has something to do with the fact that I've spent enough money with him at this point to pay a semester's worth of Tuition for his daughter at Texas A&M)

We're dealing strictly with the owner now. And I think we've infected him with the O.D. Fever Bug. He wants us to tell him the next time GL or Iron Planet has any up for auction.

jacobsk

Lets see some overall pictures of the M-Gator, I should be able to date it for you.

Your engine looks to have the Pre A1 muffler. I'm assuming you don't have the ROPS on your machine?

Based off the color of the hood in your one picture I can tell it's an old body style.

I bet your serial number begins with a W [thumbzup]

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What's bad is when you have to look up the parts yourself for the local NAPA store. That happened to me just this week. They are normally pretty good but my regular parts guy was at lunch so I had to deal with the other guy. I called and needed a in-line quick release air valve. The parts guy punched on the computer and came back and said they offer no such thing. I hung up, got on the computer, went to the NAPA website, typed "in-line quick release valve" in the search bar, and the first one on the list is what I needed. I called him back with the part number and asked if I got a discount for doing his work for him. He wasn't amused.

Madmedic

Gimpy, I'm just hoping we get finished with our projects before he gets one, and finds out about SS.

ssssshhhhhhh NOBODY TELL HIM!!! O.K.???

jacobsk, don't have access to it right now. it's over at mek a neck's gettin stripped. We had it loaded at DRMO with a forklift, and had to use the same, when we first got it back here, AND when we reloaded it on trailer. (and any of y'all who've read my other threads, know how I HATE the idea of moving a mil vehicle with a forklift.)

All tires were shot. 2 Wheels were crunched. One wheel/rim was salvageable. The other,,, not sooo much. So right now, it's a 5 wheel vehicle instead of six. We THOUGHT that once we got new tires on the wheels we'd be able to move it around a little easier........ we... wuz... wrong!!!. Mek a Nek had to cut both chains. (no biggie, gonna replace anyway).

So now in a work bay. Next step is to yank drive train, and replace gaskets, seals, etc etc. We'll save what we can replace what we have to.

But we're in search of a Mil-Spec rim if anyone has one laying around.

Madmedic

Negative.

We've bid on some of the gators that were up on GL from Ft. Sam the last two go arounds, but we weren't bidding for ourselves, we were bidding for others. The USMC Gator, came out of GL, in Califunny. The ARMY gator came from Ft. Polk, along with a trailer, about 18 months ago, (give or take)

Madmedic

Well,,,,, the rain has gone away (temporarily) and we're getting parts in from John Deere. Starting to get parts back from the Sand Blasters as well, and getting them painted.

Also included here, is a couple of picts of the Garrison M-Gator with it's BIG Brother, the XM-161.

IMG_0803.jpgIMG_0804.jpgIMG_0799.jpgIMG_0800.jpg

Mercunimog404

Banned
Yup, most kids today have no clue unless the computer spoon-feeds it to them. That's why I've sought out & found a few places around town where they have live human beings who aren't afraid to break out a printed catalog, in the rare instance they don't have the part & location memorized (which they do about 90% of the time).

I understand your frustration.
Not sure how it's the kids fault when the owner thought it was a 2009. The vin came back as one thing. Not his fault either.

Madmedic

My frustration and angst with "scooter" as the owner calls him, was his attitude and his in-ability to even try and think outside of very narrow parameters, defined by the computer.

m16ty, we've been staying away from posting on the XM-161, or "MUTTVEE", because we didn't want to get into a urinating match with M151 Purists. The XM-161 and XM-141 (a 4 wheeled version) were made in North Texas. They were made using surplus M151 Mutt Jeep Drive Train, and a body similar to the Humvee. A number of 6 wheeled and 4 wheeled versions were submitted to the U.S. Military for consideration as utility support vehicles to fill the gaps between Humvees and CUCV's. The U.S. Military turned them down because they were not diesel engined.

The company who made them ALSO made a number of variations of these vehicles under the commercial name of ALLEY CAT. The purists I refer to, get all huffy and claim that the XM-161 and XM-141 were never used by the military.

There is a gentleman from Arkansas, who has posted an excellent thread on his XM-141, which he has done an excellent restoration of.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
m16ty, we've been staying away from posting on the XM-161, or "MUTTVEE", because we didn't want to get into a urinating match with M151 Purists. The XM-161 and XM-141 (a 4 wheeled version) were made in North Texas. They were made using surplus M151 Mutt Jeep Drive Train, and a body similar to the Humvee. A number of 6 wheeled and 4 wheeled versions were submitted to the U.S. Military for consideration as utility support vehicles to fill the gaps between Humvees and CUCV's. The U.S. Military turned them down because they were not diesel engined.

The company who made them ALSO made a number of variations of these vehicles under the commercial name of ALLEY CAT. The purists I refer to, get all huffy and claim that the XM-161 and XM-141 were never used by the military.

There is a gentleman from Arkansas, who has posted an excellent thread on his XM-141, which he has done an excellent restoration of.
I don't know why the M151 "purists" would care. It's up to you if you want to post pics or info but I'm sure me and many others would be interested to see it.

Madmedic

What I'm thinking, is I'll start another thread on the XM-161, here in the ATV section since it IS an All Terrain Vee Hickle, but it's NOT a M151 or Humvee. Give me time to take some more picts.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks