• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M985 HEMTT want to change bulbs to LED

paradeduty

The "LED Lights" topic has been going on around Steel Soldiers for quite a while now. Not to be a pain, but there is so much info on here and opinions of the same that the only way to absorb it all is to "search" for appropriate Threads. I will tell you that all M985's are 24 volt lighting - so DO NOT use any rated for 12 volt ONLY. The "newer" models (headlights, signal lights, and clearance lights) are being produced in an "omnivolt" design that can usually handle everything from 12 to 30 volts (which is really nice for trailers if you are using both military 24 volt and civilian 12 volt tow vehicles). All the lights on your rig are "military standard" styles, so shouldn't be difficult to track down. Do some research though - I think there are at least 2 styles of LED clearance lights and at least 3 types of LED headlights used by the military. Caution - don't make a mistake (unless this is intentional for some reason) and buy one of the "route clearance lights" with intentions of using it for a headlight as the headlights are configured for both "high and low beam" and the others have only one "beam pattern" - but they are both 7" diameter. Some folks have had some bad experience with the LED lights, but I have had nothing but good things to say about them so far. Biggest thing about installing LED lighting (which is just like most any other electronic device in this respect) make sure the unit has a very good ground. A bad ground can cause some operational issues on "standard lighting" - but a bad ground can destroy an LED/electronic device really quickly (and they are not cheap!).

alemancarlos

The "LED Lights" topic has been going on around Steel Soldiers for quite a while now. Not to be a pain, but there is so much info on here and opinions of the same that the only way to absorb it all is to "search" for appropriate Threads. I will tell you that all M985's are 24 volt lighting - so DO NOT use any rated for 12 volt ONLY. The "newer" models (headlights, signal lights, and clearance lights) are being produced in an "omnivolt" design that can usually handle everything from 12 to 30 volts (which is really nice for trailers if you are using both military 24 volt and civilian 12 volt tow vehicles). All the lights on your rig are "military standard" styles, so shouldn't be difficult to track down. Do some research though - I think there are at least 2 styles of LED clearance lights and at least 3 types of LED headlights used by the military. Caution - don't make a mistake (unless this is intentional for some reason) and buy one of the "route clearance lights" with intentions of using it for a headlight as the headlights are configured for both "high and low beam" and the others have only one "beam pattern" - but they are both 7" diameter. Some folks have had some bad experience with the LED lights, but I have had nothing but good things to say about them so far. Biggest thing about installing LED lighting (which is just like most any other electronic device in this respect) make sure the unit has a very good ground. A bad ground can cause some operational issues on "standard lighting" - but a bad ground can destroy an LED/electronic device really quickly (and they are not cheap!).

Thank you so much...still waiting for M985 to arrive...seller told me there are some light inoperable and right mirror assembly is missing...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks