• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

deuce blowing blue smoke

JawSaw

started blowing blue smoke, diesel fuel oil all checked o.k. noticed temp was 140 after 1/2 drive going to replace thermostat would low engine temp cause this problem?also noticed a little oil leaking on exhaust side of turbo and exhaust pipe is not sooty but oily. advise john

BnaditCorps

What is the fuel? Off-road diesel? It also may have contaminants in the fuel lines from running other fuels in it that could be causing the blue smoke.

I remember seeing a tractor do that once, I believe it had off-road diesel in it and it belched blue smoke under load.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
How much is it driven? Sounds like you need to get her out and work her hard for a couple hours.

If driven a lot, I'd go in another direction, but it sounds like she isn't driven much.

Akicita

I also noticed mine blows blue smoke when I start her up after she sat for a while (several weeks sometimes).

Advice from the mechanic who worked on my 1987 Mercedes with a diesel engine: "Drive her like you stole her." And even though I have no experience driving stolen cars, after some aggressive driving (as aggressive as you can get with an old diesel) the blue smoke disappeared. I see no reason why the mechanic's advice wouldn't also apply to the multifuel engine.

:-D

rustystud

I also noticed mine blows blue smoke when I start her up after she sat for a while (several weeks sometimes).

Advice from the mechanic who worked on my 1987 Mercedes with a diesel engine: "Drive her like you stole her." And even though I have no experience driving stolen cars, after some aggressive driving (as aggressive as you can get with an old diesel) the blue smoke disappeared. I see no reason why the mechanic's advice wouldn't also apply to the multifuel engine.

:-D
I've said it before many times. You need to drive under load to get the rings to reseat again. Diesels can get the cylinders "glazed" if they have "wet stacked". If your not making them work all diesels will eventually wet stack. Most people just think generators are the only ones wet stacking. They are just the most common. The compression rings are designed to "push out" when under compression. If there is not enough load, the cylinders basically get washed down and like "wet sanding" a paint job put a smooth finish on the cylinder walls. So like your mechanic told you, take it out and drive it hard !

Pugsley

He mentioned oil on the hot side of the turbo... could be turbo going bad if its leaking oil and coating the stack with oil?

rustystud

He mentioned oil on the hot side of the turbo... could be turbo going bad if its leaking oil and coating the stack with oil?
Yes, if your turbo seal is leaking bad enough on the exhaust side it will cause oil to build up on your entire exhaust system. You will also see oil dripping down your exhaust pipe. Whenever we see a muffler that has oil coming out we always check the turbo.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks