• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Comments and Opinions on Glow Plugs?

Jozseph

Which are "better" glow plugs?

Delco AC60G , which are Beru glow plugs part # GV004GM re-branded with the Delco name; FWIW with Beru - the "GV" stands for dual coil and 11.5 volt rated, the "GD" is the code for single-coil.

Or the WELLMAN G070, which advertise to be "Hotter"

Any comment and opinion from members who have used either or both?

Thank You

Joseph

Smokinyoda

The 60g's are the best plugs you can buy. You will either need to change out the plug at the end of the wire, or grind down the terminal at the end of the plug. Stay away from the Wellmans, there is a reason most refer to them as "Swellmans".

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Wellmans are known to swell up and then break off when trying to remove them. If you are very lucky, you will be able to remove 'most' of the pieces with the injector out, otherwise removing the head will be necessary. How often do you want to remove one or both heads? AC Delco's last longer, and don't swell up when they go bad. Choose wisely!

Assel

I have a set of 8 Ac Delco 60g´s here , if my CUCV fails to start this winter I´m gonna replace all... I hope I dont break off the old ones ..maybe I get such a special tool aswell..

Jozseph

The Wellmans are known to swell up and then break off when trying to remove them. If you are very lucky, you will be able to remove 'most' of the pieces with the injector out, otherwise removing the head will be necessary. How often do you want to remove one or both heads? AC Delco's last longer, and don't swell up when they go bad. Choose wisely!
From the comments I will be purchasing 8 AC Delco AC60G this week.

Thank You

Joseph

cucvrus

My opinion. I use AC Delco 13 G glow plugs in everyone of my CUCV's and have used them for over 20 years with out any adverse conditions. Like everything else they do wear out at times. I just replace the parts as I suspect they are failing or as they fail.001.jpg002.jpgI do have all the resistors hooked up to mine. And the only removal tool I ever need is a 3/8" socket and if needed a vise grips and pry-bar. I have removed a few nozzles to access swollen plugs but only a few in 20 years of driving them. 020.jpgI have never had to remove a single head to get one out. And I have changed hundreds of glow plugs over the course of my lifetime. Not all mine but none the less. I hope that helps.

rsh4364

If stock set-up with good GP card run 13Gs.If manual only GP switch run 60Gs.The 60gs heat slower.I have manual only and glow my 60Gs for 15-30 secs.depending on ambient temp.

Last edited:

kkcshipp

Concur with Rick; he has not led me astray yet. Was having rough start up; changed to the 13G plugs (I think the originals were still in it), cleaned the wire connectors with a pipe cleaner and air and have had no troubles with starting. Started today like a champ with 32 degrees outside temp.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks