• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Vinegar and Salt for Rust Removal, Anyone tried this?

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Saw this on a site reference removing rust from tow chains and tools and the folks on there swear by it. It wasn't real clear about how much to mix with what amounts.

Anyone do this?

One thing that wasn't covered on the other site was preservation of the cleaned item. There was also info about using baking soda and water to neutralize the acids.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Cheap white vinegar will take the rust off, but I left it on too long (24 hours) and lightly pitted the bolts and nuts. It was clear that I did not know the correct mixture or %.

Jeepsinker

It works, but remember that you are bathing the parts in salt. Once you are done cleaning the item, flush thoroughly with water, then use a good preservative oil. Fluid film (product in aerosol can) is absolutely the best preservative you can use on metal.

I really don't understand the people that clean loaded tarnished ammo with this. It cleans brass and other non ferrous metals great too, but it leaves salt behind, which corroded it again... stupid.

Last edited:

Ackevor

I have used white vinegar and apple cider vinegar as well. I did a 50/50 mix with water on some heavy rusted items like cab mounts after I removed the rubber (24 hours). It helps soften the thick stuff but it wont get rid of it all. As far as adding salt to the mix, I have no idea if its supposed to excite the rust and encourage it to move, or if it does nothing. I tried some scrap stuff before I did what I wanted to reuse though.

Last edited:

Ackevor

Fluid film
Love Fluid film. The canned stuff is convenient, if you find yourself wishing you could control rust underneath better, then buy a gallon or 5 gallon can at Napa or anywhere else that sells it. My 5 gallon pail of the NAS formula cost $170 and will be enough to do my 3 vehicles for 2 years or so. Very good stuff.

LeoUSA

Hello CARNAC,
I have used with muriatic acid (dilute as necessary) then baking soda to neutralize with great results; quick and simple.
If you use White Vinegar you still need a neutralizer! (Baking Soda) After rinsing the chains with water then drying I sometimes spray the chains with a light coat of WD40.
By the way, do not use salt.

LeoUSA

Hello Ackevor,
A one (1) gallon of Muriatic Acid ($8) and $10 of Baking Soda will easily out perform the expensive $170 NAS formula / Fluid film.
Try some muriatic acid and baking soda some time.

Ackevor

Hello Ackevor,
A one (1) gallon of Muriatic Acid ($8) and $10 of Baking Soda will easily out perform the expensive $170 NAS formula / Fluid film.
For rust treatment and prevention for the underside of vehicle's? I used to play with muriatic acid as a kid to make 2 liter bombs, not exactly sure how it, with baking soda will stick to the underside of a vehicle and keep it protected all winter long. I remember it being rather watery and evaporate.

Unless you thought I meant fluid film to be used to remove rust? Thats not what its for, it seeps in, and treats metal, including rusted metal to keep it from growing, and it keeps good metal from rusting at all.

Wouldn't it just wash away after the first highway trip with all the road mist?

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For rust removal, I suggest muriatic acid also. Then treat with phosphoric acid to prevent rust.

armytruck63

Don't use muriatic acid on the inside of a gas tank. You may end up with pin hole leaks. I learned this the hard way - luckily on a common gas can, not a tank.

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a 75 ton chain wrapped around my M35A2 bumper and winch assembly, and its rusty, so I am going to soak the chain in Muriatic acid, for a day, the rinse, then a solution of water and baking soda. The paint lady at HIOME DEPOT told me to then spray paint the chain with only light lists of spray, so as not to restrict the link movement ...

Jeepsinker

Hello Ackevor,
Huh? Fluid film is a preservative, not a rust remover. Did you just not formulate your thought completely before posting?

Ackevor

Hello "Jeepsinker",
Why of course this post is about "Rust Remover" and "Ackevor" did not formulate his thoughts.
I merely stated my thoughts on preventatives after someone mentioned Fluid Film. I already had posted my thoughts on removal with what was asked in a prior post.

Edit: correct auto correct...

Last edited:

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been restoring a small IH tractor that was in a fire, If you want to avoid pits and metal loss use electrolysis. I use muriatic acid acid on bulk items like chain, but if you leave them too long you can have hardness problems.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks