• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

75 mph in a Deuce

m715mike

For the record, even the LDS is screaming at that speed. 70 is fine for cruising, because it is a few hundred rpm less. I wouldn't run at 75 for any length of time, but it sure brings on a smile when you see your speedometer needle pointing straight down at the floor.:driver:

image.jpg

:whistle::whistle:

Kasper31

LDT 465 D turbo, 60-62 mph @ 2100r's using a GPS for the speedo. That's where my deuce likes to run and getting 11 mpg.
pulling a 105 with 250 shack made into a camper loaded for a weeks camping.

Jeepsinker

It is kind of interesting that sometimes the truck will run faster at lower rpm, and sometimes it just wont. I guess the clutch could be slipping a bit sometimes, but I've never smelled it if that is the case.

HanksDeuce

I never saw 75 mph, but it was a very smooth ride at 72 mph. Jeepsinker has on heckuva nice truck!

View attachment 615729
Things I notice about this picture:
- GPS indicated 72mph in a 1969 M35A2
- one hand on the steering wheel at the 12 o'clock position
- rain on the windshield

Surprised the safety police haven't busted your chops yet, Garrett. And I ain't asking to be deputized, but be careful out there, bud.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
Garrett, glad to see you are enjoying the upgrade! Since my engine is rated 3000 rpm continuous duty I guess i should try for a record? Maybe I will just do the math, 80.82 mph with 14.5R20.

rustystud

If the engine would turn 8 grand the gearing would be fine with that.
The engine could turn 8,000rpm's but the drivetrain wouldn't like it ! That Spicer 3053 would not like turning that fast at all ! Not to mention the transfer-case or drivelines or differentials ! Remember those high RPM engines are coupled to high tolerance, fine tooth, small gear transmissions with small U-joints and small differentials. The reason everything is small is they are better able to spin-up to high RPM's without coming unglued. Take a large gear, say the Rockwell "Bull" gear and spin that puppy up and see what happens ! Much more spinning mass that is not balanced for that much RPM. NOT GOOD !Can you say "bye-bye bearings" ? I knew you could.

Jeepsinker

Tom, give it a try. I don't like to run mine over on the governor for a long time, but I do sometimes run it at 2700 for hours on end.
Also, and I should've mentioned it long ago, but I found a much easier way to get both the counter shaft and mainshaft installed than using the wire and two people trick. Call me sometime and I'll explain it, I'm sure you'll add it to your instructions.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks