• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Who has a receiver on their 5t?

skav

I'd like to pull a trailer with a 2-5/15 ball and curious if and how anybody has installed a receiver on a 5t. I would like a 2-1/2" shank and 20,000lb capacity.

If you have a receiver, please post pictures.

74M35A2

Did you search the existing threads? There are plenty of leads already.

Do you want to retain a pintle hitch? Also depends on your 5t, some are different in the rear. Some people have done beautiful work to make their own, some here sell kits, and the best fit store bought one I have seen (IMO) is in the "What have you done to your 5T?" thread.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
TM America (on here) has an unusual way of doing a hitch but I don't have any pics and I don't know if he sold any of them. I saw one on an 813 though.

He cut a plate and put holes in it. You removed the pintle and use longer bolts and it fits under the pintle. He was going to sell all the pieces and you welded it yourself.

Super simple and I saw the truck pulling a trailer with another vehicle on it so it was strong although I had asked him for a mod if I bought one.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What type of truck? The M809 and the M939 series will be different. Also double check your specs in the first post. I have never seen w 2-5/15 ball or a 2-1/2" shank. ;-)

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
TM America (on here) has an unusual way of doing a hitch but I don't have any pics and I don't know if he sold any of them. I saw one on an 813 though.

He cut a plate and put holes in it. You removed the pintle and use longer bolts and it fits under the pintle. He was going to sell all the pieces and you welded it yourself.

Super simple and I saw the truck pulling a trailer with another vehicle on it so it was strong although I had asked him for a mod if I bought one.
Here is TM America's version

hitch.jpg

Post #27
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?45005-Curt-receiver-hitch-for-the-Deuce-18-000lb-1-800lb

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Attachments

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That must be it. I do remember the small plate on the front under the pintle and the other plate being behind the pintle but I think his final design both plates were about the same size. The stars for chains were in the small plate down on the lower corners.

armytruck63

I like the hitch M35A2-AZ used. I think I would figure out a way to mount the glad-hand supports differently so that I could move the hitch towards the rear of the truck a few inches.

74M35A2

I like the hitch M35A2-AZ used. I think I would figure out a way to mount the glad-hand supports differently so that I could move the hitch towards the rear of the truck a few inches.
I thought the same also at first, but if you look at his second picture, it looks almost up tight against the rear of the pintle hitch mounting castle nut.

I also used a Curt u-weld kit. It has side plates, not a bottom mount. It can shift fore and aft with enough load on it, which is something I didn't consider well when I purchased it. Now I need to add stabilization that way. I do like that I can have it fully rearward on the truck frame though. If you get a hitch that bolts to the bottom of the frame rails rather than the side, you won't have this problem. I hope somebody can learn from my mistake and not duplicate it.

Last edited:

shadowdd

That's basically what I'm looking for. How does it pull the trailer? I have a 34' toy hauler that weighs in around 15k.
It is very nice, you have to watch how tight you back in in places so you don't pinch the front of the RV with the bed of the truck but it pulls like there is nothing back there!

Bryan

440Duster

On my M925A2, I fabricated mine using 4 inch, 3/8's angle iron with added bracing on the backside. Full use of the pintle is retained and is mounted as high as allowed to maintain departure angle in the back. Has held up to some heavy pulling. As for wiring, I made a 2 foot adapter cable from a military trailer cable to a standard 7 pin connector and run LED trailer lights.
20150823_115712.jpg20150823_115733.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks