• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MPG difference with cargo cover vs no cover

mdemars03

I am planning on taking my truck on a trip next weekend. It will be a few hundred miles round trip at most. With a M923A2 with the 6CTA 8.3L Cummins how much difference on fuel mileage will I see if I drive with the cargo cover installed versus having the cargo cover removed. I just got the cargo cover and got it installed this past week so I have no history in driving with the cover installed to be able to come up with exact numbers for my truck. I understand each truck is different and fuel mileage will be different from truck to truck. I am just curious how much difference ie 1 to 2 mpg difference with cargo cover on versus cargo cover removed.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Forget the MPG difference. Every mile you drive at highway speed is less life on the cover. Unless you need the cover, dont use it, unless you like to buy covers.

sd39u

Agree with this 100%. First thing to go will be your stitching on your windows.

Forget the MPG difference. Every mile you drive at highway speed is less life on the cover. Unless you need the cover, dont use it, unless you like to buy covers.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was fortunate to get a brand new vinyl GMA brand cover from another member here when I got my truck 4 years ago. I keep the cover on 95% the time and do make city & interstate trips. I really have noticed no issues with mpg or wear. It has slightly faded and the original slightly pinkish tone is now all tan. Only problem is the well known not super rope junk they use from factory.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I drove that truck from Tucson to St Louis and back, with cargo cover in place. MPG was unaffected, as compared to previous trips to Ft Bliss and Nellis AFB without the cover.

If the cover is nice and tight and not flapping, increased wear should be trivial. Although if it's flapping it'll beat itself to death in short order.

mdemars03

Thanks for the info. Things changed and I won't need to keep it on for the trip I am making after all. The input though about MPG and wear and tear was very helpful. Thank you all for your advice!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks