• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

" 1952 GMC M135-Old Reliable"

Phildoe

Ok so an update* Since the weather has been warmer the past day and its going to be warm the next few, i figured i would work on the wiring for the ignition of my old truck. Found that the wire labeled 12 or I runs directly from the ignition switch over to the coil and distributor system, (thanks to a fellow member here, Paul Euliss) My issue now is when i turn on the power and connect the hot wire i get a good spark from that wire, the wiring does not get hot or even warm and i am wondering if that's supposed to be like that?? I replaced the whole wire from the ignition switch to the distributor since that wire was cracked and could have been grounding out. I also replaced the whole ignition switch since the old one was split and had a cracked and rusted housing. Is the ignition power supposed to give off a good spark from the hot wire when connected and power is on??

Phildoe

So truck has been sitting the past 3 weeks without a chance to be worked on. A change in my schedule with work has forced me to hold off on finding the source of the no spark within the ignition system. I have been planning for the coming weekend as its going to be warm and that will give me the much needed chance to get things looked at once and for all.

Another Ahab

So truck has been sitting the past 3 weeks without a chance to be worked on. A change in my schedule with work has forced me to hold off on finding the source of the no spark within the ignition system. I have been planning for the coming weekend as its going to be warm and that will give me the much needed chance to get things looked at once and for all.
What is "warm" in January for Michigan?

Because if it starts up your way maybe it'll drift down here (I mean along as it's something like the 40's or better).

What are you all expecting?

Phildoe

Eh they claim its going to get around 50 Degrees friday, saturday, Sunday it drops off to like 44-48 but still really **** good for this time of year. I really need the weather to shape up a bit for like 3 days so i can finally get a full look into everything wiring wise for the old girl. I will probably just buy a new full wiring harness set from Memphis Equip. but i want to get an idea as to what all the old girl will need when spring finally get's here. Thankfully all of my issues are in a central location on the truck so i have
a pretty good idea as to what i will be needing to do. Still...once i get the beast running again i plan to finally show it off to a friend who doesn't even know i have the monster yet.

Another Ahab

50F would be great here, too. Hope that same front of yours winds up down here.

I was thinking you were going to say something like 30'sF would be warm for MI (and probably it would be, in January)!

Phildoe

It might you never know, least here we are having a very very mild winter and so far have only had like 2 1/2 inches of snow since November. the Weather has been holding steadily in the lower 30's and upper 40's so i can't complain to much here. Waiting for this weekend so i can get the truck running finally and that will give me a chance to get it out at a friend's pole barn where i can work on restoration in 70 degree weather.

Phildoe

Thanks, its an amazing piece of history that i have and i believe it actually saw service in Vietnam and then Korea to, Information i have retrieved is sketchy and a bit odd as i can only find matching photos here and there on line.
However, my M135-#41147823 was part of a convoy that was seen in Laos, and Cambodia during the Vietnam war era. I believe it was brought back to the US and then sold to private use as the title and paperwork go back to 1978.
I have photos here from war veterans that showcase the truck in many aspects.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, its an amazing piece of history that i have and i believe it actually saw service in Vietnam and then Korea to, Information i have retrieved is sketchy and a bit odd as i can only find matching photos here and there on line.
However, my M135-#41147823 was part of a convoy that was seen in Laos, and Cambodia during the Vietnam war era. I believe it was brought back to the US and then sold to private use as the title and paperwork go back to 1978.
I have photos here from war veterans that showcase the truck in many aspects.
Those photos are something I'm sure we'd all like to see. There's just something impressive about saving an MV that has some known history. Adding stories from the men and possibly women, that drove these trucks is another level of value that also gets me in the gut.

Beautiful truck, I'll look in my photo database and see if I can find the number somewhere.

Phildoe

So i have yet again come across some interesting facts here, i've learned that my : "Old Iron Deuce" has seen a great deal of service and just before it was retired from military service it was used as a Portable "Hoffer" or turbine starter with generator and heat unit mounted to the bed floor...i actually found what look to be threaded holes from where the unit sat at. i also found that sister truck-#41148722 was saved and converted into a 6x6 Forestry service truck, sadly there are not that many of the M135 series running around compared to how many were produced. Thankfully we all still Memphis Equipment Inc. supplying all the parts we need and you can bet i will be investing in many a spare parts. As for photos...i will upload them soon as i get the chance to do so when not busy.

Phildoe

Something else i forgot about...I am looking to set up a weekend this summer here in Dundee Michigan, was curious to see just how many of the Military Vehicle folks out here would be interested in this get together?? we have 2 parks that can be booked for the weekend depending on what one it is. There is a local Rod Park which is huge and has a large parking lot with room for about 65 or so military vehicles and a pavilion and area to play horse shoes and grill outdoors to. Pavilion is roofed and there are electrical outlets available for cooking or for aux. Vehicle power. There is also another smaller local park-Wolverine Park and that can hold about 35-40 military vehicles comfortably If interested please contact me-Phil Stone anytime at -(734)-731-0202 and please get at me here as well so that i can figure out times and dates. I hope that this starts something around here as Southeast Michigan has yet to host a large scale MV weekend.

Another Ahab

Something else i forgot about...I am looking to set up a weekend this summer here in Dundee Michigan, was curious to see just how many of the Military Vehicle folks out here would be interested in this get together?? I hope that this starts something around here as Southeast Michigan has yet to host a large scale MV weekend.
Great idea here, and you might catch more traffic if you post this as a stand-alone thread with the right title to attract the crowd you want. Something like:

- "SE Michigan Rally Start-up?"

You know, +/-.

Phildoe

Ok, so it's been a long while since I've made any posts on here and I feel a bit odd for it taking so long to get back to the guys on here about the "Old Iron Deuce" of mine. let me update everyone a little with this post. First off...yes the M135 6x6 is indeed up for sale, I'm sure some of you have seen her listed on craigslist, no it does not mean I'm walking away from military vehicles at all. In fact it's the total opposite for me...seems I must be lucky one way or another as I've located 2 more of the standard 135 6x6 vehicles and they both are going to need some good love to get them up and Alice under their own power. I've listed my Iron Deuce for sale to make the money needed to transport the other 2 my way and get the restoration under way. That being said I may indeed decide to not get rid of mine and end up with 3 of them!!!! But as of now yes she is indeed for sale, if interested as to the price you can contact me via the site and we can talk more. I wish all a great up coming set of holidays and hopefully I'll be able to get one of the trucks in Dundee's Christmas parade this year.

dmetalmiki

You would be so fortunate to have all three 'pieces of history' in the one collection, (yours). Good luck with the quest and the fullfilment of your aims and objectives.

Last edited:

Terry Shelswell

Hi there. Great thread about your deuce and maybe deuces! Are you a member of the MVPA or any of the local affiliates? They provide some great support and events to attend and obviously like-minded people to get support from. The Ohio Motor Pool (OMP) is located in the Findlay, OH area. The Military Vehicle Collectors Club of MI (MVCCMI) is located in the Detroit area. We'd like to have you join and let's get your iron out to some shows!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks