• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Replaced harmonic balancer

Mike82ndABN

Replaced my harmonic balancer (vibration damper) today. Picked up a Dorman balancer from the parts store and a balancer puller kit, and a steering wheel puller.

Loosened the belts, removed the four bolts that hold the crank pulley on, crank bolt came off fairly easy (used two pulley bolts in the balancer, and pry bar to keep the crank from turning while I did this).

Used the puller to remove the old balancer, the rubber between inner and outer parts was squished and it had a wobble while idling.

Pulled the old oil seal, had a lot of trouble getting the new one in.

Used the steering wheel puller to install the new pulley, the large bolt fit nicely in the crankshaft for a few turns, then I just rotated the silver bracket so that it would push against the balancer, and I kept on doing this until it seated the balancer, I ended up adding a thrust washer in there from the other puller kit and I was able to turn the part by hand until it seated the balancer. I saw how to do that in this post and it worked really well... http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?66270-Harmonic-Balancer&p=1405150&viewfull=1#post1405150

Cleaned up the old crank pulley and replaced it in the same orientation on the new balancer. Replaced belts and tightened. Runs smoother at idle now.

Couple relevant threads for anyone else...
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?44202-Check-your-balencer
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?66270-Harmonic-Balancer
And there's some info in TM-9-2320-280-34 if you search "torsional damper" and go to 3-7

Last edited:

TedG

I replace the front crank oil seal whenever I replace the harmonic balancer. Just peace of mind.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't over stress sticking with AC Delco parts on the balancer...I change these all the time. The quality of the Dorman and other MFG's compared to the AC Delco is inferior, but this is a visual comparison....so I can't make any statements that one works better then the other. But an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure...

tage

I can't over stress sticking with AC Delco parts on the balancer...I change these all the time. The quality of the Dorman and other MFG's compared to the AC Delco is inferior, but this is a visual comparison....so I can't make any statements that one works better then the other. But an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure...
Which part number do you use for the A/C Delco balancer?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Don't forget to change the pulley bolted to the balancer at the same time. They are constructed the same way and often fail in the same time frame.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks