• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fording Project

rustystud

A trip to Hawaii. An earthly paradise.

AND, on the house.

Oh, the pain, the suffering. The humanity!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbert_Morrison_(announcer)#

:mrgreen:
I know it sounds bad, but there is a reason why I think this way. My wife's family lives in Hawaii. She was born and raised there. Then after teaching for a few years in Honolulu she decided to move to Washington State where we met and the rest is as they say history ! So whenever her parents has a major birthday (like turning 70, 75, 80, 85 ) or a major anniversary (like there 50th or 60th) we go and visit. We've been there "many" times ! and just so you know Oahu is a small island which you can drive around in 4 hrs ! I've been everywhere there ! Seen it all, done it all ! So now we just go and set there watching the sweat fall off our brows ! and don't forget the "sunscreen" or you will burn in minutes ! I hate the feel of sticky sunscreen on me ALL day long everyday ! In my opinion Hawaii is one of those places you go and visit once in your life and say "wow, wasn't that fun ! " and never go back again !
I didn't even mention the 5 to 6 hours it takes to fly there ! This last time we hit some terrible turbulence that lasted for 30 minutes. People where vomiting all over ! Real fun right ? It's like eating cake. Too much will make you sick ! :shock:

Last edited:

rustystud

Great Thread. I'm on day one of bobbing a M35a3. My favorite camping spot requires five river crossings. Every year I go through the ritual of greasing and changing all the fluids on my CJ7 after the trip. I'm thinking drying out the wheel bearings on the deuce is gonna be a way bigger job than that. I liked the Idea of turning up an LP regulator and using a manual three way valve, but I'm not sure I can get 2.5psi out of it. They are factory set at 14" water column (0.51 psi.). After the air dumps in to the wide open space of the gear boxes I wouldn't think surging at the regulator would translate to much variation at the box. Do you think the flow control is really necessary? In my case I'm assuming I really don't need to do anything with the automatic transmission.
The flow regulator is more for the gauge then anything else. You don't want the needle jumping all over the place.

rustystud

Please excuse me for being possibly ignorant?

Didn't the original "water fording kit" only blow enough air into the bell housing to keep water out with the bottom plug removed? I don't recall anything about the wheel bearings? That being said? Wouldn't you have to have a bottom plug with a small hole drilled in it to maintain pressure ? Trying to maintain 2.5 psi throughout the system with a 1/2 or 3/4 inch plug out would be a little difficult.
You would keep the bottom plug installed.

rustystud

Hey, stud, don't pay me any mind. I was just busting' chops!

Aloha nui loa.
I understand and I wasn't angry or anything. When I try and explain why I don't want to go to Hawaii most people give me the same reaction and then I have to explain what is going on.
Just for grins and giggles, do you know where the hand wave for "Shaka" comes from, the one with your thumb and little finger up ? Well it started with a plantation worker who used to wave to the incoming crews on the train. He had an accident in the cane mill years ago where he lost the three middle fingers so when he waved it was with just the thumb and little finger ! Soon all the workers started greeting each other by this hand wave ! Now it's known as the Hawaiian Shaka meaning stay cool ! LOL !!!! roflrofl

Last edited:

pitpawten

I understand and I wasn't angry or anything. When I try and explain why I don't want to go to Hawaii most people give me the same reaction and then I have to explain what is going on.
Just for grins and giggles, do you know where the hand wave for "Shaka" comes from, the one with your thumb and little finger up ? Well it started with a plantation worker who used to wave to the incoming crews on the train. He had an accident in the cane mill years ago where he lost the three middle fingers so when he waved it was with just the thumb and little finger ! Soon all the workers started greeting each other by this hand wave ! Now it's known as the Hawaiian Shaka meaning stay cool ! LOL !!!! roflrofl
How do you know that he wasn't trying to give them the bird :D

Great thread, I'll be re reading and considering this at some point

Another Ahab

Just for grins and giggles, do you know where the hand wave for "Shaka" comes from, the one with your thumb and little finger up ? Well it started with a plantation worker who used to wave to the incoming crews on the train. He had an accident in the cane mill years ago where he lost the three middle fingers so when he waved it was with just the thumb and little finger ! Soon all the workers started greeting each other by this hand wave ! Now it's known as the Hawaiian Shaka meaning stay cool ! LOL !!!!
That's cool; didn't know the story behind the Shaka wave; thanks for posting that up.

I was lucky enough to get to Hawaii once, dropped in to Maui for a week and drove the road to Hana.

The neat story there is how Charles Lindbergh was so heartbroken, after becoming the modern world's first real rock star and then having his sone kidnapped and murdered, that he wanted to escape as far away as he could from the whole human race, and he had the means to go anywhere in the whole entire world. The place he chose to go was the little town of Hana on Maui. You got to go see his grave there on the seaside cliff if you ever get a chance. One of the absolute most beautiful places in the world. end of story; that's it. The End.

lino

Hey Rustystud! Excellent project!

Regarding your switching solenoid valve, are you using a 3-way valve (I think you need to be)? If so, you may have difficulty with your Chinese version too. Most 3 way solenoid valves are not direct acting. Meaning you need some pressure in system lines to keep the valve in place while the solenoid is de-energized.

Fortunately, in this application, you can use 2 standard solenoid valves, one normally open, one normally closed. If you get "direct acting" they should not require a pressure differential.

I was just looking at the offerings on ebay, and there were some that do what you need, that look just like the one you got. I was looking because I need to be able to switch the trailer air line off on my deuce. Turns out the air over hydraulic system I put on my civy trailer from the M105 works great with about 6k lbs of tractor on the trailer, but when empty, the trailer brakes lock at the lightest touch of the pedal. Can't stop on flat dry ground without locking up all four trailer tires. So I'll have a dash switch to disable trailer air brakes when trailer is empty. Anyway, the solenoid requirement is similar. "WIC Valve" seller on ebay has them for about $15.

For the arrangement of the two valves:
The normally closed valve would be between the regulator and the manifold. When energized, it would allow low pressure air from the regulator into the manifold (then on to the various components)
The normally open valve would be between the manifold and an air vent. Normal operation vents manifold to atmosphere. When energized, it shuts that vent (so your low pressure regulator doesn't pump air out the vent).

A 3-way valve can do this more elegantly, but you don't have tight constraints on "make then break" requirements, so if the system is plugged for a moment or if it vents the low pressure output to atmosphere for a sec, it doesn't really matter. So a two valve arrangement can work.

All that said, you'll also need to keep an eye on the cV (flow coefficient) of the valves. The one I'm talking about (of course I won't post the auction link), has a cV of 0.23. With a 2.5 psi differential, you won't get very much flow thru that. Not really sure how much flow you need though (how fast does system leak).

well, seems like time for me to stop rambling....

I'm enjoying your thread. A system like this has been on my truck's to-do list.

ciao
lino

JasonS

I know it sounds bad, but there is a reason why I think this way. My wife's family lives in Hawaii. She was born and raised there. Then after teaching for a few years in Honolulu she decided to move to Washington State where we met and the rest is as they say history ! So whenever her parents has a major birthday (like turning 70, 75, 80, 85 ) or a major anniversary (like there 50th or 60th) we go and visit. We've been there "many" times ! and just so you know Oahu is a small island which you can drive around in 4 hrs ! I've been everywhere there ! Seen it all, done it all ! So now we just go and set there watching the sweat fall off our brows ! and don't forget the "sunscreen" or you will burn in minutes ! I hate the feel of sticky sunscreen on me ALL day long everyday ! In my opinion Hawaii is one of those places you go and visit once in your life and say "wow, wasn't that fun ! " and never go back again !
I didn't even mention the 5 to 6 hours it takes to fly there ! This last time we hit some terrible turbulence that lasted for 30 minutes. People where vomiting all over ! Real fun right ? It's like eating cake. Too much will make you sick ! :shock:
I went to Honolulu for a conference a few years ago and took the wife. Honolulu has a problem with their sewage. Apparently, they pipe it out to sea but it flows back in to shore (read about it in the paper while we were there). We were both sick during our stay after a trip to the beach.

Are you using a single stage regulator? If so, I think you may have trouble keeping your desired 3psi setpoint.

Another Ahab

We're drifting for sure here:

- But if you're going to drift, Brother, Hawaii is the place to do it

I read once that native Hawaiians only had two words in their vocabulary for directions; it was either:

- "Mauka" (mah-oo-kah: toward the mountains), or

- "Makai" (mah-kah-ee: toward the sea)

I don't know if it's true, but even if it isn't, it's great story.

Like what else would you need to know if you lived out there!?

rustystud

Hey Rustystud! Excellent project!

Regarding your switching solenoid valve, are you using a 3-way valve (I think you need to be)? If so, you may have difficulty with your Chinese version too. Most 3 way solenoid valves are not direct acting. Meaning you need some pressure in system lines to keep the valve in place while the solenoid is de-energized.

I only need a 2 way valve. Normally open to vent the gears and powered ( with the dash switch) to close to pressurize.

rustystud

I went to Honolulu for a conference a few years ago and took the wife. Honolulu has a problem with their sewage. Apparently, they pipe it out to sea but it flows back in to shore (read about it in the paper while we were there). We were both sick during our stay after a trip to the beach.

Are you using a single stage regulator? If so, I think you may have trouble keeping your desired 3psi setpoint.
Yeah Honolulu has sewage problems. Has for years now.
About the regulator, it's a two stage low pressure regulator. So there shouldn't be any problems.

rustystud

We're drifting for sure here:

- But if you're going to drift, Brother, Hawaii is the place to do it

I read once that native Hawaiians only had two words in their vocabulary for directions; it was either:

- "Mauka" (mah-oo-kah: toward the mountains), or

- "Makai" (mah-kah-ee: toward the sea)

I don't know if it's true, but even if it isn't, it's great story.

Like what else would you need to know if you lived out there!?
It's true Ahab. There where basically two groups of people on the island. The inland mountain people who hunted and crafted with wood and the low lands coastal people who fished and gathered salt to trade with the inland mountain people.

rustystud

002.jpg

I got my new solenoid valve in today. Though I won't be able to play with it till early next week. I have a "naughty" tree to deal with Saturday but first I have to go on a 2 hour road trip to get some "ethanol free" gasoline. I truly hate this ethanol gas we have to deal with ! I also absolutely refuse to put that crappy fuel in my chainsaw or any of my other small gas engines.

chestypuller1371

i was stationed in kanoehe bay hawaii, thats on oahu.. i did get a brake from it when sent over to saudi aribia kuwait and iraq though only 125f there.. haha

rustystud

chestypuller1371

View attachment 601914View attachment 601915View attachment 601916

I've been working on a Fording project for my deuce since summer ended. I already have all the differentials and transfer-case and transmission connected with a 1/4" DOT hoses up to the engine firewall. Now I'm installing the heart of the project the control unit. It has a 0 to 3 PSI gauge, low pressure adjuster, switch and flow control valve. The last part I need is still in the mail. It's a 2-way 24 volt DC normally open solenoid valve that will control the air-flow to the collection unit where all the hoses met up. This will allow me to either vent normally the gear units or close it off and fill the units with 2.5 PSI of air pressure. This is enough air pressure to keep out water to a level of about 10ft deep. Since I never plan on going under water it will work just fine. This unit will mount under the main dash board. To operate all I need to do is flip the switch on and adjust the pressure regulator to 2.5 PSI .
The clutch housing has been sealed off. I have drilled and taped a 1/8" NPT hole for a DOT fitting on the upper housing. This now vents out with the rest of the hoses. I'll take more pictures when I get the unit installed.
this is a great idea. ive though many years to build something like this for my offroad vehicles just never have, we have several water crossings here in alaska i deal with and this would be ideal!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks