• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1102 with S250 (M11S250) Shelter Expedition Camper Project Start

Overdrive

Finally received the title from GP for the M1102 and got it titled and registered... by the way military vehicle and trailer registration in Missouri is a REAL PAIN!

Just went and picked up an S250 from HMMWV Nut (had a great time checking out the other stuff he has for sale and talking with him and his dad) so here are pics of the recovery and the build will start shortly. Going to do something similar to what I built on my Hydraulic Repair Trailer. Going to call it my M11S250!

S250Home1.jpg Shelter recovery successful. 500 miles round trip. Swapped the HMMWV 37" wheels and tires out on the M1102 with the 265/75R16s off the HSTRU trailer for the journey. Worked out great for leveling it out behind the Hummer. I didn't even have to use the huge raised hitch plate.

I think I may use that size tire for the completed build on this setup (265/75R16's on 16x7" wheels).

shelterinshop1.jpg home sweet home tucked in the shop for the winter build

shelterinshop2.jpg

Much more to come soon

Thanks,
OD

Overdrive

Interior pics before any work is done.
IMG_0242.jpg
Going to leave the cool folding table and the power distribution center. I rigged up a reverse electrical cord, plugged it in and all the lights work great. checked all the outlets with an outlet test thingy.

shelterinterior1.jpg

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
To the naked eye, that shelter looks a little smaller. Fits the trailer nice. I'm kinda curious if it might be an S318.

Overdrive

It is an S250 it may look smaller with the smaller tires on the M1102. They are not quite 6" less in diameter than the stock 37's. Trailer sits about 2.5" lower. Which is the exact look I was going for.

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Subscribed.

I am going the other way with a fully stripped S250/g in the back of my goat.
I have been looking at shelter pictures to see how & what things are mounted in them.

A little more room than your other MV M116 trailer you have in the pole barn/garage.

Overdrive

quarkz, I spent last weekend pulling out all the racks and doing some cleaning. Funny you should mention the space difference from the HSTRU camper I built... After I pulled out the racks I was sitting in the shelter thinking WOW this thing won't take anywhere near the effort and time to make into a camper than it took on the 116!

Don't throw out any of the parts you strip off your S250! I may want some ;)

OD

P.S. No WAY! I found an old dirty magazine that had fallen behind the racks from October 1999... Can it get any more cliché than that!

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess I need to compose my sentences better.
I meant to say that my shelter was empty when I bought it and that I was going the other direction by putting original MV stuff back in.

So sorry no stripped out parts.

And after reading the magazine, either frame it and put it up on the wall, or leave it out on the desk with a steaming cup of coffee, when you setup for display.

Overdrive

quarkz, ah ok LOL. Gotcha!

OK, Round 1 of cleanup/cleanout pic. I removed all the racks and the back conduit thingies and did some light vacuuming. Jerry can is to show scale. I may leave the bottom storage containers you see in the pics for gear. The ones on the right are just sitting in there. I need to drill some holes to mount them but I like that location.

H6_cleanup1.jpg

The shelter has two commo boxes/inserts into the sides one down low for radios and video connections and the other out the back for telecom stuff. I have the inside cover for the lower and smaller cover but I am missing the cover for the larger one by the door. Here is a pic. Might try to locate or fab a cover as I have a couple of ideas in my head to use the location after removing all the commo wiring and some trimming.

H6_cover_needed1.jpg

pictures are a little blurry, my phone doesn't like to focus in the cold.

More to follow.

OD

Overdrive

I had no idea there were 110v BA15 base light bulbs out in the world. Look just like 1157 car bulbs but even pins and 110 volts NOT 24! Don't ask me how I figured it out...
led_lights1.jpg
Anyway, these are commonly (apparently) found in household appliances like sewing machines and vacuum cleaners. Picked them up on Amazon and they work great and provide a much better light than the old bulbs.
led_lights2.jpg

HMMWV Nut

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad to see your camper project is taking shape. You've come a long way on this project in a short amount of time and thanks again for posting your build !!!!!

Overdrive

Not sure if posting all the little details on this build will annoy folks but I have a very minor addition...

I was going to rip out all the brackets and racks leaving just the folding table thingy and the power disrto box but after hanging out in the S250 and contemplating life while looking at the old field phone and intercom brackets I decided to nerd out and get a set of TA-312 Field phones (plus the setup looks pretty cool). I used them when I was in the Army late 80's to mid 90's. Something to play with when out camping between rigs. Hooked everything up and the wiring all works.

TA312_01.jpgs250_phone1.jpg

FloridaAKM

Thanks for all the posting & pictures, sort of gives me some ideas as to what I want to work toward when I get the shelter. The M-1102, I already have several of to work from, so the expensive part is already in the bag. As you progress, keep posting what you are doing with some pictures!

Overdrive

Thanks for the words of support guys will keep the pics coming.

Purchased the phones from eBay and field wire reel from Sportsmansguide. Ebay prices on wire are crazy.

Any new updates on the camper? I have been stripping all the stuff out of mine, currently prepping the inside for painting. most of the interior of mine was already gone.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks