• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The VTCS m756a2 Pipeline Truck

tommys2patrick

This is such an awesome truck. I wish I had a chance to see it up close. I got close to getting one but it had been converted to the HIAB crane. Such an awesome and useful truck. But you had to know how to rig it. What a great save! Sure hope you post a lot of restore pics.

OTTOM35

tommys2patrick,

The truck with the HIAB crane, was that the one from the Tomlin Collection in Toole Utah? I bought that truck and it is awesome. Runs great, just needs some TLC. I know that Mr. Tomlin put the bed on the truck, but I have not been able to find out who put the HIAB crane on.

tommys2patrick

I believe it is. He had some really cool vehicles. Wish I had more bucks at the time. Shipping things over the continental divide gets rather pricey. Glad it went to someone who appreciates it.

tommys2patrick

The gin pole version is a lot harder to use. The hiab makes picking and setting so much easier. Longer reach too. The only thing that would help the HIAB is a crane cable on the end. It just seems like loads might get a bit bouncing when fully extended. I suppose I best not hijack this thread though.

Another Ahab

And welcome also from Virginia.

You might post a stand-alone "Hello", so we can give you a proper welcome (and also because nobody wants to hijack anybody else's thread).

Last edited:

mhassett

OTTOM35's truck is sitting in my barn.
Really nice truck. No rust and starts instantly.
I am trying to get OTTOM35 to store his mule here too.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
FWIW, there are 2 trucks that I know of out there with Hiabs and pipeline beds. Both were built by members here. Cranetruck built one and BFR built the other.

xm708

Hats off to you guys for getting that truck back up here. I am glad it will be used again and enjoyed. Too bad he didn't leave all the new tires in the bed !!
George is smiling down on you for bringing it home !!

pigpen60

I worked at a shop where every month you went and started all the engine powered equipment letting it warm up to operating temp and shut it down. Sounds like a good excuse to play.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
All rigged up:image.jpg
Folding the gin poles out with the winch:image.jpgimage.jpg
We folded them back in a little and reset the chains for more angle on the poles:image.jpgimage.jpg
Lifting a poorly rigged trailer:image.jpgimage.jpg

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have some sheave blocks. I know you have the rear anchor for the sheave block, is the center one there or do the get switched? Been a while.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
You have some sheave blocks. I know you have the rear anchor for the sheave block, is the center one there or do the get switched? Been a while.
The center anchor is there as well. The TM shows the block for the center sheave having the hooks for a u-bolt as well even though there isn't one in the center of the bed. One of the blocks that we borrowed from Keith was attached to an anchor and didn't have the hooks (looked NOS all painted at once) so maybe the TM has the wrong drawing.
It seems all the blocks are the same and based on the block with the hook on the end. I'm guessing the reason for the different NSNs is because the trunnion block comes with the trunnion, the rear anchor block comes with the anchor, and center block comes with it's anchor. So it looks like once we get 4 of the blocks we leave one stock with the hook, and remove the hooks from the other 3, and weld on 1/4" plate hooks to one to use with the rear u-bolt and we'll be all set. This should be pretty easy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks