• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

DMV asked for FMVSS proof..

Gunny65

I called to start thr title process on my M934A2 and she asked if it had a FMVSS (federal motor vehicle safety standard) sticker on the door. If not, then they couldn't title it. Of course it doesn't have it on the door or anywhere else. How in the heck do I find this info? Why do I always have to get the PITA representatives. I have seen several of these with license plates driving here in Idaho. UGG!

Okay, so the only question I really need to find an answer for is the, where would I find this info on FMVSS?

JohnnyBM931A2

Try calling the state capitol directly. That's what I had to do here in Illinois. I never had any previous issues with my local DMV, but when I went to try and title/register my truck, they didn't know a d*mn thing about military vehicles.

shadow1

All I needed was the sf97. Went in, she came out and checked the ser. Number and that was it. Just make sure everything on the sf97 is complete. When I got my first sf97 they didn't put the year on it and they kicked it back at me and I had to get a new one. I went to the dmv here in Sandpoint it was not a big deal.

infidel got me

All I needed was the sf97. Went in, she came out and checked the ser. Number and that was it. Just make sure everything on the sf97 is complete. When I got my first sf97 they didn't put the year on it and they kicked it back at me and I had to get a new one. I went to the dmv here in Sandpoint it was not a big deal.
Good one- there are only three things that our dmv reps. will come out from behind their desks for--- A FIRE--LUNCH--AND 5 PM.

tbar123

Couple ?'s. What year is it?
Does your state allow the grandfather clause? ( meaning as far as can the safety standards at time of build be excepted or do they have to comply with todays)
Did you inform the person on the phone that this was a military vehicle? (most people hear truck and think your going to use it for business purposes)
Have you looked up your states refined code for personal "collectible vehicles"?
That's a few things I would start with and you may need to dig deeper especially into the refined codes, It's arduous and mind numbing ,but there's usually a few codes you can recite to get through the lazy arses to pass your vehicle for titling!

wiggall

I had no problem doing my 1968 Kaiser-Jeep M35A2w/w 8 years ago in Orofino, Id. I stopped by the weigh station on the way home. To get the vin # certified. That was a pain in the A_ _! He was about to give up and found the Frame #. Filled out the paperwoork, took that and the Bill of Sale to the DMV, and walked out with my plates!

Gunny65

I am checking on the SF97 option. Isnt that for off-road vehicles though? I have an email in to the GovPlanet title section. I will let you all know what they have to say.

I am looking through the Idaho vehicle regs. Nothing specific so far.

I contacted the Boise DMV, supposedly, MV guru. I had to send him a copy of my BoS. He at least seemed to have some knowledge of the MV process. Lets see where this one takes me.

I am not giving up by far. Thank you everyone for your advise. I am following all options at this point. I spent 7 years dealing with the VA Comp and Pension people. I know it takes time, using the correct language, and getting lucky all at once. I was just seriously pissed off yesterday. Talk about some lazy, pass the buck, DMV reps. They offered no options unless I pressed them. I had to push just to get the guys name and number in Boise. I KNOW there are people in this area that have 6x6 trucks licensed. I just need to find the proper process and then PASS IT ON in here and other sites. Again, thanks. I am using everyone's advise.

Gunny

dmetalmiki

What a hassle, glad we don't have that probem here. Keep us posted, you will win through eventually and enjoy the truck in all it's glory.

Flyingvan911

Off-road only is for HMMWV's only except for a few other rare exceptions. They might want the FMVSS because it's less than 25 years old. Or, as mentioned above, she had no idea about the process for MV's. With a little homework and some polite phone calls I'm sure it will be resolved in your favor. It just might take a little time.

HanksDeuce

Go to DMV early, and bring a box of assorted donuts. You will pass every time as long as a few of those donuts have sprinkles on them. Ask me how I know...

D6c

Have this problem in Ia on vehicles after about 1981 or 82 (when they standardized on 17 digit VIN) Until about two years ago we couldn't get one titled at all. The DOT computer system would kick out anything without a 17 digit VIN and then if it didn't have a FMVSS (which Mil trucks don't) they refused to title it at all....even if you have a title from Gov't Lic.
Eventually enough people complained to the Ia state legislature and they changed the law. Now you still have to make the vehicle comply with a list of safety features and sign a form stating it complies.
Took me over a year to get title to my M931....lucky for me a lot of other folks worked to get the problem resolved, otherwise I'd have a truck I couldn't use.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
According to my DMV rep (I know, different state but I was curious) all you need is to get hold of a sticker/plate that says something to the effect of "This motor vehicle complies with all FMVSS requirements at the time of its manufacturing" or something to that effect, and place it on the inside of the driver's door. And that should satisfy the DMV person asking.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
According to my DMV rep (I know, different state but I was curious) all you need is to get hold of a sticker/plate that says something to the effect of "This motor vehicle complies with all FMVSS requirements at the time of its manufacturing" or something to that effect, and place it on the inside of the driver's door. And that should satisfy the DMV person asking.
If you happen to find one there, and don't know how it got there, your conscience can be clear, otherwise you are fudging! But they may not know that.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you happen to find one there, and don't know how it got there, your conscience can be clear, otherwise you are fudging! But they may not know that.
Not trying to beat this to death, but it's not really fudging. I spoke with a MC inspector earlier whom I know, and he told me that as long as the truck was built to contract specs (FMVSS requirements at time of contracted build), then it's not an issue...as long as none of the GVWR, GCWR, Dry Weight, VIN, and other vital specs are altered/changed, then it's a non-issue to install the above FMVSS sticker. He told me it's most likely an administrative item that the DMV clerk wanted to see done, most likely to cover their administrative (paperwork) "bases." The MC inspector also told me that he's never looked for any kind of sticker like this when inspecting CMVs, only the appropriate data to ensure that the driver & company are in compliance and safe (VIN, weights, registration, insurance, etc...).

Are there any military vehicles built within the past 50 or so years that would not meet FMVSS requirements? Not a sarcastic question, but a sincere one...HMMWVs notwithstanding, as if they weren't up to FMVSS standards, they wouldn't be allowed on US public roadways. If the armed forces are held to the same federal vehicle standards as the rest of us (and other federal agencies), such as emissions requirements, I don't see how a MV would be exempt from FMVSS requirements. I know this has been covered in other threads, otherwise I wouldn't have suggested it here.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do not know about M35s, M39s, M809s, & M939s - I have never seen a FMVSS tag in any of those trucks. Nor HMMWVs.

However, the M915 series have FMVSS tags. I haven't come across an Oshkosh truck that didn't have it - HEMTTs, MK48s (& RBUs), HETs (911 & 1070/A1), & PLSs.

I suspect that there have been vehicles built that meet the standards but do not have the tag.

MuleMac01

Military vehicle collector
I do not know about M35s, M39s, M809s, & M939s - I have never seen a FMVSS tag in any of those trucks. Nor HMMWVs.

However, the M915 series have FMVSS tags. I haven't come across an Oshkosh truck that didn't have it - HEMTTs, MK48s (& RBUs), HETs (911 & 1070/A1), & PLSs.

I suspect that there have been vehicles built that meet the standards but do not have the tag.

Must be a manufacturer thing then?

todds112

Get the SF-97, it will be so much easier. An ISP VIN investigator basically told me it wasn't going to happen without one. I got one of the first batches of trucks from GP. They weren't going to issue SF-97 because there was no year of manufacture stamped on the dash plate. They finally got their policy worked out and issued one without a year on it. I took that and the truck to my local court house. The gal there looked at the data plate and the SF-97. She asked me, "Do you know what year it is?" I said, "It's a 1990." She said, "OK." and wrote it in on the title application. In a few weeks I had a title for it. Only oddity is they didn't have BMY as a manufacturer in the database, so mine is registered as a, "Truck" for the manufacturer. Works for me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks