• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rare NOS GM throttle cable

svlsmokey

Cable Receipt.jpgIMG_2858.jpgIMG_2860.jpg
I found Control Cables Inc. doing an internet search. Emailed and they quickly replied asking for photos of the original cable ends. Said they could probably do the job so I sent the original in. Then talked with Ed on the phone. Friendly service and quick turn around time. Here is the finished product received today.

My only complaints are Governor Brown's commission (non-residents might not have to pay) and the $20+ for UPS shipping back to me (UPS delayed the deliver because of the snow - but the mail always goes through). I paid $8 to USPS the original to them.

Hopefully I'll get it installed tomorrow and let you know how it turns out.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That looks like a really nice cable.
Hope it works as good as it looks.

Price isn’t outrageous as some of the NOS GM cables are.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the great info. It looks like a quality cable. Looking forward to learn how smooth the throttle is.

svlsmokey

Installed the new cable this afternoon. Its a perfect fit - didn't need to adjust it at all, although there is plenty of room for adjustment. Its really smooth, especially compared to the old cable which was pretty tore up (photos above). I can tromp the throttle and it immediately drops back to idle. I'm pleased with it.

emeralcove

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone tried one from LMC Truck? They offer one for the 6.2 in the Blazer, but I don't know if will fit correctly. It does state it is for the "first" design, round hole in firewall with rubber grommet cable retainer. At $24.95 I may just order one to see how it compares; mine is still functioning properly but I like to be prepared for parts that I can't easily buy.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone tried one from LMC Truck? They offer one for the 6.2 in the Blazer, but I don't know if will fit correctly. It does state it is for the "first" design, round hole in firewall with rubber grommet cable retainer. At $24.95 I may just order one to see how it compares; mine is still functioning properly but I like to be prepared for parts that I can't easily buy.
Most aftermarket cables are junk and do not fit properly, according to old threads.
You get what you pay for.
Why waste $24.95 for a lousy cable?
If you can’t find a GM one, recommend to have one made like mentioned in thread above.

I still have my NOS GM ones and haven’t used them yet.

SPECIALTYLC

Every thing I found at parts stores were too short. I believe they were for later model trucks, but said they were for 1984 and up. I just cut the pump end off both cables and used a cable clamp to connect the ends back on at the correct length. Works perfect.

cucvrus

rofl
Every thing I found at parts stores were too short. I believe they were for later model trucks, but said they were for 1984 and up. I just cut the pump end off both cables and used a cable clamp to connect the ends back on at the correct length. Works perfect.
If it works that's the goal. You may loose bids at the Barret Jackson auction for non original. But I wouldn't worry about it. The original A C Delco ones they sell are made in China anyway. But the good news. Mainland China. No fish head village on the shore lines. Mainland. Good job. I am glad it worked out for you. I only ever broke one cable. It seems that grommet and nylon insert are the issue on most of mine. Have a great day.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks