• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to me M1075 and M1074 PLS

ev2bfree

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes it had a very high reserve, so it took a few tries to get the reserve down. I saw the flat racks, but they were quite far, and I wanted to get the truck first. I am on the prowl now for flat racks and some M1076 trailers.

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last year there were some beautiful M1076s on GL. The flatracks are the hardest part.

datadawg

I was thinking about a PLS in order to haul some British armored vehicles, but it seems like you need to have financial reserves of a small nation to buy, run and maintain it. They are not often sold on govplanet and apart from the purchase price, I presume they are monstrously expensive to run and maintain. Has anyone had experience with similar vehicles from UK? The Brits are selling 8x8 (in US version left hand drive), for roughly $13K (at today's exchange rates). They call them DROPS, but it's a similar system (hook and hydraulics). Yes, I know the PLS has the crane and DROPS does not... Curious for thoughts on comparison, both on cost (purchase and operating) and functionality.
http://www.mod-sales.com/direct/vehicle/related/58265/DAF_8x6_DROPS_Multilift.htm

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not ALL PLS have the cranes, only some. Your limiting factor is depending on how you're loading it. The hook pull/load strength is the issue. PLS is 16.5ST if I recall correctly. IF you don't have to hook the connex/platform onto the truck, the weight is 22ST I think? I'ts been a while and my memory is foggy at the moment. the DROPS looks lower to the ground than a PLS. The "deck height" is about 4-5' for a PLS, the DROPS looks closer to 3'.

datadawg

Not ALL PLS have the cranes, only some. Your limiting factor is depending on how you're loading it. The hook pull/load strength is the issue. PLS is 16.5ST if I recall correctly. IF you don't have to hook the connex/platform onto the truck, the weight is 22ST I think? I'ts been a while and my memory is foggy at the moment. the DROPS looks lower to the ground than a PLS. The "deck height" is about 4-5' for a PLS, the DROPS looks closer to 3'.
According to mod-sales website, DROPS has a payload capacity of 15 tons. PLS looks so much beefier, plus has an additional axle. I can't imagine needing more payload unless you want to haul tanks -- and then you probably can't do it anyway due to limited width of deck on the platform.

Does anyone know how much PLS units go for? And given their high deck height, can they transport something (12 ton armored vehicle) that's 8 feet 3 inches tall or would the load be too high??

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And given their high deck height, can they transport something (12 ton armored vehicle) that's 8 feet 3 inches tall or would the load be too high??
Depending on the height of your platform, 3" would get you to the same height as a standard 20' connex. So, you should be ok.

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On thing to consider about the DROPS is, how easy is it to get basic parts for if you break down (filters, lines, etc)? For other parts, are the only available in England and you need to import?

Atleast most HEMTT/PLS parts are available in the US and if you break down, NAPA, truck stops, etc are likely to have the parts since they are common Detroit/CAT engines.

DrillerSurplus

According to mod-sales website, DROPS has a payload capacity of 15 tons. PLS looks so much beefier, plus has an additional axle. I can't imagine needing more payload unless you want to haul tanks -- and then you probably can't do it anyway due to limited width of deck on the platform.

Does anyone know how much PLS units go for? And given their high deck height, can they transport something (12 ton armored vehicle) that's 8 feet 3 inches tall or would the load be too high??
The PLS are a lot beefier, although their rated payload isn't that much more @ 16.5 tons. The DROPS has 350 horsepower vs 450-500 on the older PLS and up to 700 hp (I think) on the new PLS. If you are just doing parade duty, not that big a deal- if you are working it or climbing hills to get to the parade, it would be an issue. Two other big concerns I would have would be the parts issue that KUBOTAMAN mentions and that the top speed of the DROPS is only 48 mph.

The PLS deck height with a M1077 flatrack is 67" so you can put an 8 foot load on top of it & not be over-height.

The M1120 is the closest equivalent to the DROPS and has the same payload of 15 tons. It weighs a lot less than the PLS but is still beefier than the DROPS with higher horsepower and top speed.

View attachment PLS-DROPS.pdf

BnaditCorps

Does anyone have any current suggestion on where to purchase a used M1074/M1075?
I believe the demil code was changed on all HEMTT and PLS trucks. Basically if you want one you can't get it surplus, but if you find someone selling one you can get it that way is my basic understanding...however I could be completely wrong, so if someone with better knowledge could chime in it would be greatly appreciated.

ev2bfree

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Used M1074/M1075 PLS for Sale

Does anyone have any current suggestion on where to purchase a used M1074/M1075?
Yes, I had 3 of the VERY few M1074/M0175 PLS units ever sold to the public. I sold one, and have two left. I would consider selling one more for the right price. I also have two LHU container hook attachments. The M1075 A1 is my favorite vehicle to drive. It Has the TAK independent front suspension. The CAT engine purrs like a lion. The stock A/C blows cold. The air ride seats for both occupants make it as smooth as any luxury vehicle. The older 1991 M1074 PLS is one of the only ones I have ever seen with both the crane AND the winch. The Detroit Turbo charged, Supercharged, 2 Stoke V8 is a pleasure to listen to it sing.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Hey guys...are there still Oshkosh Pls M1074/M1075 or M1070 axles or differentials on the market?
Taylor trading co had some listed awhile back in the classifieds. Might PM him

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Thank you for the info...do you maybe have a website from them or a email address? I try to google them...but find multiple websites. Thanks for your help in advance.
He's a member on here. Search his name under the community tab with the members list

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks