• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep 016D high voltage

Grega

A couple weeks ago I pulled my genny out because I haven't ran it for a few weeks. Started right up and noticed that the volt gauge read high. 175 volts. Confirmed this with my multimeter. So I figured that the voltage regulator was bad and I have bought a couple of the SX460 regulators so it was time to use one. A couple days later, switched it out and started the 016D back up. Same problem. So I thought the variable resistor might be bad. But it works fine 0 to 750 ohms as you turn the knob. With the generator running voltage will vary 170 to 185 volts with the resistor. As far as voltage selection, im running the generator on the 240 volt mode with the ground installed on TB6 to X0. Done this a couple years ago and everything worked fine until a couple weeks ago. So I ruled out the voltage regulator and the variable resistor. I have done the SX460 and 240 to 120/240 modification on other mep 016s that I have with no problem. Which makes me think I have something internally wrong here. Has anybody have any advice on where I should troubleshoot next. Stator, rotor, diodes? I do have a mep16a that I may swap the generator head on but I want to make sure there isn't a simple fix first. THANKS

Last edited:

Isaac-1

Check the diodes, but if I were to guess my first guess would be the SX460 has gone bad.

Ike

p.s. have you measured line to line to see if you are getting 240VAC line to line? and is your SX-460 setup to reference 120V or 240V?

Last edited:

Grega

I did switch the SX460 with second spare with the same result. I did check line to line and was getting something around 340 volts. I did check the reference on TB1 and TB4 on they were high but cant remember what they were. Will check tomorrow and let you know.

Isaac-1

Did you measure the input voltage at the SX460 terminals 7 and 8? Corrosion or excessive wear anywhere along those wires would cause resistance to raise and reference input voltage to drop which could cause what you are seeing. Also if you have a fuse inline there try changing it, in some cases fuses can in effect partly blow just enough to increase resistance, it is rare, but does happen.

Grega

20160217_185119.jpg20160217_184957.jpgFinally figured what I did wrong I hooked up the voltage regulator to TB1 and TB4. It should be TB1 to TB 3. Also pictured is the configuration to get 120/240. Hope this anyone that has problems.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks