• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 Geared hub drain plug

kfrosty

1992 M998, yesterday I stripped the inside of two on mine trying to get them out. Anybody have a retail parts store # on these or would these be same as a 9x Hummer H1?

Thanks

Additionally, what do you guys do to get these out. I should have tried some heat I guess.

gcbennet

I had one that was in there super tight as well. The previous owner must not have wanted to tackle the issue because he was nice enough to paint over the plug and call it a day. The one method that i thought would work beyond a doubt was soaking it on both sides with penetrant for a couple of days, then inserting an allen wrench into the plug and clamping the visible threads (about 2 or 3) super tight with vice grips, then slowly torquing on it. On anything else this probably would have worked, but not in this case. The vice grip jaws merely sheared the plug down to nothing like a lathe. I thought about using heat on the housing but was afraid of the residual oils igniting and causing an even greater problem. In the end i had to completely drill the plug out and chase the threads in the housing with a tap. You can get new plugs with the built-in magnet from Kascar, etc.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drill it out under sized, go buy an easy out...hit it with a torch and it will come right out.
I do them weekly ..,they are pipe thread, don't need more then a 1/4 turn tight with some sealant

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cant say ive ever broken an easy out..especially if using the correct size for the bolt to be removed.
But like i said...i remove at least 1 a week.
Heat is the key...i like to put in brass pipe plugs
That can be removed with a crescent wrench.
The whole allen head idea in that spot is a bad idea from the get go.

kfrosty

RWH, do you know the size of the brass pipe plugs you use? Also, where do you get them out, one of the retail box stores?

To add to the ideas here, a friend suggested depending on the hardness of the metal, using a Torx socket. Drill a hole just smaller than the torx head, tap the Torx into the hole so the torx teeth bite into the sides the hole. Use a small impact gun that want just spin like the allen head does.

Thanks for the responses on this.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
.... using a Torx socket. Drill a hole just smaller than the torx head, tap the Torx into the hole so the torx teeth bite into the sides the hole. Use a small impact gun that want just spin like the allen head does.
I don't believe that using a Torx tool as an extractor is going to work as well as an actual extractor. The Torx tool is hardened, but the six "teeth" of the tool are rounded, and won't bite into the plug material as well as an extractor.

Rick

kfrosty

I don't believe that using a Torx tool as an extractor is going to work as well as an actual extractor. The Torx tool is hardened, but the six "teeth" of the tool are rounded, and won't bite into the plug material as well as an extractor.

Rick
If you drill the hole the correct size, when you drive the torx in, it's teeth make "splines" in the metal and is where you get the bite. I'm not saying it's better than an extractor obviously, but if you're in a pinch and don't have an extractor, maybe something to try. Again depends on the metal hardness, access etc.

It worked like a champ for me on a TSU broke in a water crossover just throwing it out there.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you drill the hole the correct size, when you drive the torx in, it's teeth make "splines" in the metal and is where you get the bite. I'm not saying it's better than an extractor obviously, but if you're in a pinch and don't have an extractor, maybe something to try. Again depends on the metal hardness, access etc.

It worked like a champ for me on a TSU broke in a water crossover just throwing it out there.
more then one way to skin a cat....just removed 3 Monday.
the plug is soft, it literally takes 5-10secs to drill it. Let it drain and then hit it with heat again, insert easy out and it's out...it's never failed me. I have also had luck with just heat and vice grips on the exposed threads, that is a method that works approx 50% of the time....but you need at least 3 threads showing.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RWH, do you know the size of the brass pipe plugs you use? Also, where do you get them out, one of the retail box stores?

To add to the ideas here, a friend suggested depending on the hardness of the metal, using a Torx socket. Drill a hole just smaller than the torx head, tap the Torx into the hole so the torx teeth bite into the sides the hole. Use a small impact gun that want just spin like the allen head does.

Thanks for the responses on this.
IIRC it's just a 3/8 pipe plug...you can get them at any hardware store. Brass, galvanized, copper....makes no diff.
but remember, the plugs from the hardware store don't have the magnet...not a big deal IMO.
i personally have and use the ones with the magnet....these are also available all over the interweb.

kfrosty

more then one way to skin a cat....just removed 3 Monday.
the plug is soft, it literally takes 5-10secs to drill it. Let it drain and then hit it with heat again, insert easy out and it's out...it's never failed me. I have also had luck with just heat and vice grips on the exposed threads, that is a method that works approx 50% of the time....but you need at least 3 threads showing.
I agree with your methods completely, just added one for anybody else that runs across this thread doesn't have an extractor handy. I went to Napa and other places last Sunday and none had. Ones I ordered online ended up being way too small.

Thanks for the info on the drain plugs!!!

TedG

I weld a bolt to it and turn it out. Steve's way works great also, I just like welding!

springbok

The covers on mine were pretty bad, steel and cast iron and aluminum all do not play together well. For fun I made the new ones out of 3/4 in Stainless and cut cooling fins in them. Overkill YES. Fun factor 9.9. Time spent, my wife hates my HUMVEEs even more now.

kfrosty

Finally got around to opening a package I had sitting in the living room for a couple of weeks. Pleasantly surprised to see some drain plugs I forgot I had ordered.

So got out my handheld propane torch, heated each plug for about a minute and got mine out with a set of Vice Grips.

Thanks everyone!

DanM7890

Finally got around to opening a package I had sitting in the living room for a couple of weeks. Pleasantly surprised to see some drain plugs I forgot I had ordered.

So got out my handheld propane torch, heated each plug for about a minute and got mine out with a set of Vice Grips.

Thanks everyone!
Can you come do mine now? :beer:

kfrosty

Can you come do mine now? :beer:
You can bring it over here. :) But not this weekend. Heading to Uwharrie for some wheeling tomorrow and have to move a friend on Sunday. Actually Sun morning you could come over.

I actually have two plugs from Kascar left over. You're welcome to use them and just replace them.

P.S. Be a good idea to bring a easy out in case vice grips and other doesn't work.

DanM7890

You can bring it over here. :) But not this weekend. Heading to Uwharrie for some wheeling tomorrow and have to move a friend on Sunday. Actually Sun morning you could come over.

I actually have two plugs from Kascar left over. You're welcome to use them and just replace them.

P.S. Be a good idea to bring a easy out in case vice grips and other doesn't work.
Maybe if I can get it back together in time. I do have a ton of work to do since the truck is torn down from paint. Still trying to locate some tan seats. May have to wait until after the show for those.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks