• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

bleeding the hydro-vac

loosewrenchcowboy

i swapped rockwell toploaders into my m-135. hooked everything up, but can't seem to get the brakes to bleed out. they worked fine before i swapped the axles. now the pedal is spongy, and i get intermittent brake pressure that changes wheel location every time i hit the whoa pedal. i have the service manual for the m-135, and everything else except the axles was untouched. any secret tips? and the manual is a little vague as to which bleeder to open first on the air-pack. help?

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have had the best luck using a pressure bleeder. Connect it to the master cylinder then work down from the master cylinder opening bleeders in consecutive order, ending with the wheels.
Regards Marti

badgmc56

It can be done the old fasion way but pressure bleeding is the way to go.Thats how I did mine.Bleed hydrovac first then the farthest wheel away from master cylinder and work your way forward.Left front wheel being the last one.That's how I have done it for years.Take your time and you shoud be fine.If your truck has two wheel cylinders per wheel make sure you bleed bottom one first

acetomatoco

One thing to be careful of is the nomenclature of stuff... A M135/M211 Deuce has an Air Pak for the brakes which is a Air over Hydraulic booster using a compressor. The Hydrovac is a Vacuum booster for brakes which was used in WWII on Halftracks and CCKW etc... Air pressure not vacuum is used to boost the brakes on most M series vehicles. Brakes are among the most talked about accessories on this forum.. Be sure to search well and take heed of the advice given... Do not reuse brake fluid..!! Dot 3 takes on water in solution when exposed to air and Dot 5 is usually very contaminated with water globules when bled from systems.

acetomatoco

Gotta keep you Jimmie Guys straight...brakes are the most important component to keep up on MV as they are usually only single systems and on the GMC M135 et al...only one cup in one of the 12 wheel cyls has to fail and there are no brakes...with or without the Air Pak.. whoops.. on the M35 series only half the possible failures...but the same result. Remember if you break the brakes...something else will break and it will not be pretty.. But as they say in Da Bronx, dems da breaks... Remember to take a break when you are working on the brakes before you break something... Happy Veterans' Day to all us old Soldiers...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks