• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV brakes - no pedal pressure at all, pedal to floor, then SPLAT!

TheGreatMidwest

I purchased a used 1994 M998A1 HMMWV from GovPlanet, got the engine running well this winter and was ready to take first spring test drive. Couldn't wait to finally drive it and enjoy the nice spring day. But I noticed that the brake pedal pretty much went to the floor without any resistance. Since this is my first HMMWV, I'm not familiar with how HMMWV brakes should feel but I thought this was odd.

I checked the brake fluid reservoir and found one of the two halves to be empty. I added fluid (DOT5) until the reservoir was about half full. I started the HMMWV again, still no pedal resistance. I pumped the pedal slowly 3 or 4 times, still no resistance at all, but suddenly SPLAT! I heard something that wasn't good, I got out and saw that the rear driver side caliper had a an explosive leak of brake fluid all over the ground aua, and continued to drip as the line drained out.

What would cause the lack of any brake pedal resistance? And yet after pumping the pedal a couple of times (without any resistance at all) it blew out something, maybe the hydraulic cylinder seal? Any suggestions or guidance would be great. It does not look like a fun job to work on the rear brakes of a HMMWV, this is new territory for me, I've only worked on civilian vehicles to this point and I'm looking forward to getting into funner toys!

I have the following style of master cylinder with the booster unit with the square flat metal lid - Brake Master Cylinder AM General 12342898

tage

Air in the system = no pressure. Looks like you found your leak either way... I highly doubt you need a new master, replace, or if you can find a rebuild kit for the caliper... However, I would inspect it first. You may have blown a line... Anything is possible. ymmv

TheGreatMidwest

Air in the system = no pressure. Looks like you found your leak either way... I highly doubt you need a new master, replace, or if you can find a rebuild kit for the caliper... However, I would inspect it first. You may have blown a line... Anything is possible. ymmv
Ok, so maybe that explains why one-half of the master cylinder reservoir was empty... it had mostly leaked out before I got the vehicle. I'll check the lines. Are there any special tools or dissambly to get at the caliper's hydraulic cylinder ? And thank you very much for the feedback !

tage

Ok, so maybe that explains why one-half of the master cylinder reservoir was empty...
Simple. the res is split into two parts for the front calipers, and the rear calipers. with one side was drained confirms you have a leak in the rear brakes...
I bet now the system is dry for the rear. Will make the rear less messy on disassembly.

Remember to keep any pool shock you have laying around away from your leak...

TheGreatMidwest

Simple. the res is split into two parts for the front calipers, and the rear calipers. with one side was drained confirms you have a leak in the rear brakes...
I bet now the system is dry for the rear. Will make the rear less messy on disassembly.

Remember to keep any pool shock you have laying around away from your leak...
Thank you Colonel. True, I guess it will be easier to work on now that's it's dry. By keeping pool shock away are you referring to that chlorine powder put into swimming pools? Does that make for some interesting chemistry if pool shock mixes with brake fluid?

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Once it went dry you will have to bleed the brakes again...the front Res is for the rear brakes, rear Res in the fronts.
plis fix any leaks that caused it .

Mike82ndABN

I just replaced my rear brake pads, while i changed out the rear differential output seals. The fun part was reaching the 9/16" upper caliper bolt, and then rotating the piston with large vise grips while using the compression tool to push the piston back in. This is different to any brake job I had previously ever done.

In your case it sounds like you will be removing the calipers, which will make it easier by far.

TheGreatMidwest

Once it went dry you will have to bleed the brakes again...the front Res is for the rear brakes, rear Res in the fronts.
plis fix any leaks that caused it .
Thanks for the added details, then that makes perfect sense, it was the front reservoir that was empty (back brake is bad), What would a project be without surprises. The willpower grows stronger! Must resurrect this beast.

TheGreatMidwest

I just replaced my rear brake pads, while i changed out the rear differential output seals. The fun part was reaching the 9/16" upper caliper bolt, and then rotating the piston with large vise grips while using the compression tool to push the piston back in. This is different to any brake job I had previously ever done.

In your case it sounds like you will be removing the calipers, which will make it easier by far.
Somehow you made me happy that I have caliper trouble. I'm glad it's only the calipers at this point, sounds like you needed an octopus to assist you with that output seal job!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks