• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Graves Mountain MV Trailrides and Rally, September 1-5, 2016

CGarbee

Cabell, I don't have an MV right now. Can I still attend in September? I'll just camp, be friendly and nose around.
You do not need to have a vehicle.
Come on over and enjoy riding with other folks on the trails and socializing in the camp area...

CGarbee

Don't forget that this event is very dog friendly...but do bring a leash... ;)
(for that matter, it is also ferret and pot bellied pig friendly...).

Al Harvey

Don't forget that this event is very dog friendly...but do bring a leash... ;)
(for that matter, it is also ferret and pot bellied pig friendly...).
Well I don't have a ferret (YET)......but I do have a dog and a mule. Wait which ferret are we talking about???????? LOL

conny

Sent my registration in today. Since I don't have an MV at this time, I thought I'd offer meals for participants of the Rally. They may not fill you up completely but, can subsidize your own meals. Below is a schedule of what I offer. Cabell, hope you don't mind but I have to do something.

FREE FOR ATTENDEES OF THE ANNUAL MILITARY VEHICLE TRAIL RIDE AND RALLY

Coffee always available (I only use/drink Maxwell House)
Meals are available on a first come first served basis.
Sorry, due to the expense, I cannot feed everyone but wish I could.
Heated Leftovers (Kept Cold) from previous meals possibly available
MUST have your own mess kit/cup.

Friday Morning….6:30AM….Bacon/Scrambled Eggs/Muffins/Apple Juice
Friday Noon….12:00…Ham & Bologna Sandwiches/Cheesy Macaroni (28serv.)
Friday Evening…6:00PM…Pasta Alfredo/Corn/Biscuits (28serv.)

Saturday Morning...6:30AM…Bacon/Scrambled Eggs/Pancakes/Syrup/Orange Juice
Saturday Noon…12:00…Teriyaki and Rice (28serv.)
Saturday Evening…6:30PM…Eastern NC Style BBQ Supper at Camp Area

Sunday Morning…6:30AM…Bacon/Scrambled Eggs/Pancakes/Syrup/Apple Juice
Sunday Noon…12:00…Beans & Franks/Crackers/ (28serv.)
Sunday Evening…6:00PM… Savory Stroganoff/Green Beans/Biscuits (28serv.)

Monday Morning…6:30AM…Bacon/Scrambled Eggs/Muffins/Orange Juice

HOPE EVERYONE HAS A SAFE TRIP HOME. SEE YOU NEXT YEAR.

PS. If a few of you could take my wife, son and grandkids on a couple trail rides would be most appreciated. Thank you.

CGarbee

UPDATE TIME

We have been up to the event site a couple times in the last month ensuring that the trails are clear and ready for vehicles. Managed to create another pair of loop trails on the mountain that can be run with five ton trucks (I am taking my M817 dump truck as my trail truck this year, so you know we have to have several for me to run on...).
Shirt design has been sent to the shirt shop and we will have a bunch on site for folks to purchase. Those who indicated a desire to get one on their registration form are guaranteed shirts, others are on a first come basis.

You have about a month until rally time, so you still have time to make plans to attend...or to drag your friends along with you... ;)

Landbarger

and if i can work it out, ill be following you in my A2.
Which way are most of you NC guys planning to head up? North on I-29 through Danville or are you heading US-220 to I-81 through Martinsville and Roanoke? As long as you've got "turnt up" A2s maybe I can fall in behind one of you in my pickup and let you know if any pieces fall off. ;)

Another Ahab

Which way are most of you NC guys planning to head up? North on I-29 through Danville or are you heading US-220 to I-81 through Martinsville and Roanoke? As long as you've got "turnt up" A2s maybe I can fall in behind one of you in my pickup and let you know if any pieces fall off.

:funny:

CGarbee

Which way are most of you NC guys planning to head up? North on I-29 through Danville or are you heading US-220 to I-81 through Martinsville and Roanoke? As long as you've got "turnt up" A2s maybe I can fall in behind one of you in my pickup and let you know if any pieces fall off. ;)
You know, North Carolina is kind of a long state (East to West)...so we'll be using multiple routes to get up to the rally... :)
BMan and Sonny will head west out of Williamston on US64 to I95 in Rocky Mount, then he'll run north towards Richmond, head over to I64 West via VA288. From I64 he'll hit US15 North to Gordonsville, then over on VA231 to Banco, then on SR670 to Syria...
I'll run up from Raleigh with the M817 and TR100 on US15 all the way to Gordonsville, VA, then I'll run VA231 to Banco, then SR670 to Syria.
On my second trip up, when I'll have the M931 and M146 trailer, I'll run I40 west to Hillsboro, then up NC86 to Danville, then up US29 to Madison, then up VA231 to Banco, then over on SR670...

The guys from Columbia, SC, come up I77 to Charlotte, then run I85 to Greensboro, then up US29 to Madison, then up VA231 to Banco, then over on SR670...

Western NC guys are likely to run up I77 to I81, then cut over to US29 on US33, but may cut over on I64 and run through Charlottesville (I wouldn't, due to construction in Charlottesville...)...

Oh, if you have read this far and have not gotten confused yet... You'll note that I keep typing US29 in...and not I29.... I29 runs from Kansas City, MO to Pembina, North Dakota...
US29 runs from Pensacola, FL to Ellicott City, MD with the section of US 29 between Greensboro, NC and Danville, VA designated as Future I785...
Nit picky to be sure, but I work for NCDOT and this whole number/designation/status makes a difference to the funding, etc... ;)

CGarbee

In all seriousness...
If folks could arrange to convoy up (or get a buddy to fall in behind and watch for any pieces that fall off...) everyone could have a more relaxing, safer, ride up to and back from the event...
I'll post my trip times when we get closer to the event and I know when I will be going up, but I am going early (since I am hosting) in order to get last minute stuff set up...
Perhaps others could post travel plans as well...

Landbarger

Oh, if you have read this far and have not gotten confused yet... You'll note that I keep typing US29 in...and not I29.... I29 runs from Kansas City, MO to Pembina, North Dakota...
US29 runs from Pensacola, FL to Ellicott City, MD with the section of US 29 between Greensboro, NC and Danville, VA designated as Future I785...
Nit picky to be sure, but I work for NCDOT and this whole number/designation/status makes a difference to the funding, etc... ;)
My bad, I knew that it was US-29 but I hadn't reminded my fingers recently. :)

But in my defense, I feel like most guys coming from NC will be on US-29 or I-81 for a least some part of their journey. More to the point...I'm only going to link up with other drivers in either Martinsville (US-220) or Chatham (US-29), so those were the two routes I was most interested in sparking conversation about.
:driver:

CJ9/Granny

My wife and I have high hopes of coming up to spend a weekend with you folks again, but it definitely won't be this year. It's a long story, but we sold our popup camper early in May with the hopes of finding something that suit us better. Thus far, we are still without one. We finally decided that a cargo trailer conversion is going to best suit our needs. We hope to be ordering a new trailer in the not-too-distant future. Presently we are waiting to have another carport put up to keep the cars under. That will then open my big carport up so I can park the trailer in with the truck. In a way, this had worked out well as I won't be starting the conversion project until after the weather cools down. Anyway, we wish y'all a good turnout, hope you have a great time, and hope the weather cooperates well for you this year. 'till we meet again..... :grin:

Another Ahab

The guys from Columbia, SC, come up I77 to Charlotte, then run I85 to Greensboro, then up US29 to Madison, then up VA231 to Banco, then over on SR670...
The Sheriff's Department of Madison is kind of picky about speeding on their portion of US29.

They also have a nice little courthouse; ask me how I know. :whistle:

CGarbee

The Sheriff's Department of Madison is kind of picky about speeding on their portion of US29.

They also have a nice little courthouse; ask me how I know. :whistle:
I never had an issue with the Sheriff or his deputies...but then, I know them all very well--socially. :)
You do have to watch out for State Troopers... Thankfully, the two that really disliked speeders and "odd" vehicles have moved to other areas of the Commonwealth...

They all know that I'm having a party Sept 1-5, so you should be ok, just don't make too many obscene hand gestures when you pass them...:roll:

CGarbee

My wife and I have high hopes of coming up to spend a weekend with you folks again, but it definitely won't be this year. It's a long story, but we sold our popup camper early in May with the hopes of finding something that suit us better. Thus far, we are still without one. We finally decided that a cargo trailer conversion is going to best suit our needs. We hope to be ordering a new trailer in the not-too-distant future. Presently we are waiting to have another carport put up to keep the cars under. That will then open my big carport up so I can park the trailer in with the truck. In a way, this had worked out well as I won't be starting the conversion project until after the weather cools down. Anyway, we wish y'all a good turnout, hope you have a great time, and hope the weather cooperates well for you this year. 'till we meet again..... :grin:
If you wanted to come up anyway, I'll put you up in my cabin at the end of the road...
The good folks from Rock Ridge Offroad will be camping in the big field with the rest of the group (as will I) so the cabin will be unused...and quiet...

Another Ahab

I never had an issue with the Sheriff or his deputies...but then, I know them all very well--socially. :)
You do have to watch out for State Troopers... Thankfully, the two that really disliked speeders and "odd" vehicles have moved to other areas of the Commonwealth...

They all know that I'm having a party Sept 1-5, so you should be ok, just don't make too many obscene hand gestures when you pass them...
You might like this:

- A buddy of mine once got a citation in Vienna VA for using choice language in his car in reaction to an LEO.
The officer said he could read my buddy's lips. And my buddy didn't deny it. :jumpin::mrgreen:

CGarbee

My bad, I knew that it was US-29 but I hadn't reminded my fingers recently. :)
But in my defense, I feel like most guys coming from NC will be on US-29 or I-81 for a least some part of their journey. :driver:
I know...but you gave me a great excuse to type away and list different routes and folks who are coming, etc...
Hopefully, the flurry of posts today will get a few others to open up and let us know what they are thinking... :)

CGarbee

Sale items:
Don't forget that you can bring stuff to sell/trade with no restrictions on space/location in the camping field.
BMan (Chuck) will be hanging out at the HQ tent with the t-shirts...

Speaking of sale items:
I will have five gallon plastic water jugs (tan, black ones have all been sold...), lug nuts, MKT drink dispensers (this stuff is already on the truck...).
TR-100 four wheel tag trailer (two axle, like a M1061 but heavier and with full air brakes)-I have to have it up there and it can go home with a new owner...
Available, but only if you talk to me ahead of time: ten 1100r20 Michelin XL tires with 30% tread (or better) mounted on ten lug rims recently taken off my M817. These WILL NOT be on the truck unless I have a rather firm sale pending...
M37 parts (upon request: I have some body parts, some electrical, a couple of complete engines, a couple of disassembled engines, etc...)

I'm coming to have fun trailriding and socializing...but I will have room for stuff if folks want it.

pmramsey

Cabell, I don't have an MV right now. Can I still attend in September? I'll just camp, be friendly and nose around.
There is no need to arrive without a MV. There is a good chance that Ill have exactly what you want and I am just up the road in Warrenton...actually a little stretch of US 29 southbound called New Baltimore.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks