• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

hmmwv tachometer installation

hmmwv1

since i searched the internet for almost 4 hours and could not find complete instructions on installing this tachometer i thought i would post my install
the tach is a military issue tach made by dixson for the hmmwv.it is a 3500 rpm with an hour meter and light and does not have a pre wired plug(i bought it off the internet) made my own mount too
part number is 6680-01-474-0384
there are 5 wires to hook up
first is key on power- spliced off the power feed on fuel gauge
second is ground- connected to back of instrument gauges gound
third is light-spliced off of instrument gauge light feed
the next 2 wires are signal feed wires for the pulses,the tach drive in the rear of motor is where they hook too,it does not matter which goes where,they are just pulses and work the same if reversed
hour meter count engine running time
it would not work hooked up to the alternator a/c output,read 2900rpm at idle

hope this helps someone
.IMG_1282.jpg
IMG_1281.jpgIMG_1287.jpgIMG_1286.jpgIMG_1285.jpgIMG_1284.jpg

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good work....where is the 2nd red wire going? I see the 24v feed to the gauge, the ground to a gauge....is that the one that goes to the inst gauge lamp power?

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very nice work hmmwv1! I have been wondering how these hook up. Great work on the mount too.

FYI I'm picking up an auction lot of GL parts soon that contains a bunch of these tachs. I'll have them listed in the parts FS forum next week. Anyone needing one can PM me.

hmmwv1

Very nice work hmmwv1! I have been wondering how these hook up. Great work on the mount too.

FYI I'm picking up an auction lot of GL parts soon that contains a bunch of these tachs. I'll have them listed in the parts FS forum next week. Anyone needing one can PM me.
did you buy the ones that was on gl about 2 weeks ago?

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I put the same in the m1097 today...took about 2hrs but worked like a charm...thanks brother.
just so happens I have had one of those tach's for years and found it looking for something else...I had the A-pillar bracket in another box. This tach was part of the complete kit for an ambulance on the dog house with the Ste/ice harness as well...

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why did they put these on certain models and not on all?
i don't think I ever saw a tach in a HMMWV.....not even today, and I get more then my fair share going through my section at the base....like every month. I believe they were for the ambulance.
of a truck had a tach, you would see the tell tail sign of where it was mounted...A-pillar rivnuts to the left of the wiper motor, and holes all over the left side of the engine cover...but you don't see it, not even on the Gp trucks.

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Probably more about the hour meter since idling is likely.
Was there a need to idle the engine up while parked to provide adequate power for certain accessories associated with the ambulance? I could see a tach and a throttle lock being used for that purpose.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not familiar with.the HMMWV or its ambulance variant. My CUCV ambulance has patient compartment heat and A/C and NBC equipment as well. Assuming the HMMWV has the same equipment, an hour meter would be very beneficial for determining service intervals and the tach for determining off idle RPM for running the equipment in the PT compartment.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks