• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anybody ever put a 353 detroit in a m37...

IMG_0482.jpgIMG_0543.jpgi have a chance to get one that runs one and was wondering the pros and cons. its already in a m37 frame.. no sheet metal on it.. i have the sheet metal... go any faster... i personally love the bark they have..still would like to know who put it together originally

Last edited:

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only two things I could see as a problem is its NOT original to the truck and I cannot stand the screaming racket from that little Detroit!
KK

im in luck it has a 5 speed and i believe the gearing is 489... im all in on this baby... have to do some wheel cylinders and stupid crap but it will be a nice project... hopefully the deal happens...its already in a m37 frame.. someone did a nice job putting it in

Last edited:
this is in a m37 frame already with a 5 speed trans... .. i know it won't be a speed demon but i think it will be fun to stuff my sheet metal on it.. run a few wires and run it.. it will be different for sure.strait pipe up the side no muffler.. oh ya you will here me coming for sure :recovry4x4:

CGarbee

PoW on this site has one that he converted back in the '80s... Great little engine for a conversion as long as you keep in mind the noise and that it has been a long time since Detroit supported them directly.
I considered one back when I installed the Cummins 4BT into my truck.

USMC4302

Just a thought about supportability -- If you live near a Plain Community (Amish/Mennonite/etc) you will probably have a few 2-cycle experts who will be more than able to help you keep that Green Leaker screaming for as long as you want it to. Lots of 53 and 71-series support out there, but you have to look for it.