• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What tracked armor options do I have these day?

FrankUSMC

Halftracks are still out there in good numbers. The tracks are back in production also, so that is a huge plus! They can be driven on the street without tearing up the road because of the rubber tracks.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Depends on how deep your pockets are. There was a nice M60A3 that sold just west of Austin a couple of years ago - $350k I believe. Lots of European stuff is available cheaper but unless you find one already here you have to deal with all the import BS, shipping expenses, transport once it's stateside, etc.

DukeNukem

Depends on how deep your pockets are. There was a nice M60A3 that sold just west of Austin a couple of years ago - $350k I believe. Lots of European stuff is available cheaper but unless you find one already here you have to deal with all the import BS, shipping expenses, transport once it's stateside, etc.
Ouch! I'd be happy with an M113 or even a half track.
Thanks though.

dmetalmiki

And, if you go for a halftrack, choose the white, Smooth engine, more MPG (believe it or not) And a better turn of speed and power. I was always taught the overhead valves engines were better, quicker, and more powerful. Hum, Well my White beat the M9 all ways up. My 1/2 penne'th

FrankUSMC

just a little bit more information on the post from Merry Ole England, the White halftrack, Autocar, and Diamond T are all the same halftrack (like the Ford GPW jeep. and the Willys MB jeep). The M9 halftrack was made by International Harvester and was a deferent halftrack (armor, engine.......)
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There was a Sherman on E-Pay several months ago. It was a recent restoration with twin Detroit Diesels. Don't remember the exact price but it was expensive. I agree with other posts here that a half track would be the way to go........easier to get in and out of that a tank.

teletech

Yep, it's as Mkcoen said "how deep your pockets are".
Halftracks are pretty cool and very available but if you are hankering for full-tracked you have many, many options right up to a low mileage T72!

I went with the CVR(T) platform since they fit in a container or regular garage. You can have a good running one for $55k+ in the states or half that if you want to do your own import form the UK. (for more on that: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?138852-How-NOT-to-import-armor)
I know a guy with some CVR(T) that need FULL restoration back east for just about $15k if you are on a budget and want a project.
The FV432 would be a good alternative to the M113. Looks like real tanks are about $150k and up though before all the troubles there were a lot of T34s and stuff coming out of the former USSR for cheap.

Several states will issue you plates for a full-tracked vehicle if you have rubber track pads, others will issue one-trip permits.

Really, you should stop and answer the following:
Do you enjoy working in cramped, smelly spaces while upside-down?
Am I small enough to fit in one, they were made for young guys many years ago. I know for the Scorpion it is said you don't get in it, you put it on!
Where are you going to drive it? If you have outback on your door great, otherwise you need plates or a heavy transport setup.
Do you mind spending $3/mile to drive around?
If you are even half serious, you should be willing to spend the money and go to tank day at Aquino in two weeks. Just do it but be warned it IS an expensive hobby.

For more:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?140262-Which-APC-is-Right-for-Me
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...orting-Armor-and-other-vehicles-from-Overseas
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...-4K-4FA-APC-Prospective-Purchase-Pro-and-Cons
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?99221-Purchasing-and-Importing-a-BRDM2

In a way it's a lot like owning an old wooden boat, lots of people admire them but they will cost you a bunch of money, leak like a sieve, and will give you some of the best days of your life.
Bottom line, everything about armor is: hard, heavy, and hurts!

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It was a real beauty. I had my sights on that M60 until Soldier B brought me back down to earth. :-(

blhar15

Probably your least expensive option is find something either British or Russian built. You can still occasionally come across M113 or M114's, but parts are hard to come by and they can get expensive to rebuild.

Augdog1964

You have options, but they are quickly going away... EU rules are making it hard to buy units, and move them... especially if they have to ship through Germany.

Cheapest fully tracked armor currently is a BMP variant, or Abbot... moves on from there... these start about 40k.

UK is easy buy and move from, E. Europe becomes problematic. KNOW what you are buying, WHO you are buying from, and don't skimp on hiring good transport and customs reps who know what they are doing.

martinwcox

As Augdog1964 has said, UK is relatively easy to buy and import you just have to follow all the rules and fill in lots of paperwork, Form-6, EPA, DOT declarations, assumes vehicle is 25 years or older, anything newer is a problem. Also, you are not going to NAPA to get any spares so you need to consider that as part of any purchase. I have a CVR(T) Scorpion and enough spares to fill a 20ft container, track, engine and gearboxes in particular are getting very hard to find. If you do import a vehicle try and load up a container with spares as well, the cost difference for a 20ft versus 40ft container can be less the $1,000.

Also, consider how you are going to transport the vehicle, many States including mine (MA) will not register a fully tracked vehicle so you are not just driving down the road. Consider insurance, Hagerty will insure most things as will others IF they cover your State.

As with anything read and learn and you will not have any (expensive) surprises!

Cheers,

Martin.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The War Department told me that if I ever pulled the trigger on something like that, I'd better be prepared to live in it!
Get a M113 then. Lots of room for a sleeping bag. M1 tank has a pretty comfortable gunner's seat but that's a bit pricey for a doghouse :)

teletech

I think a FV432 might be a bit roomier, it's sure a lot cheaper than the M113 and way more comfortable to live in that a CVR(T) Spartan!

Get a M113 then. Lots of room for a sleeping bag. M1 tank has a pretty comfortable gunner's seat but that's a bit pricey for a doghouse :)

jdmcm

Very few M113's in private hands, if they were US military the State Dept keeps tabs on them, look at all those ones in Australia they were going to auction until Uncle Sam stepped in and they were all chopped up...FV432 way cheaper and way fewer headaches with red tape unless you can find one that came out of FMC and went to a private agency right off the bat

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks