• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M274 engine rebuilding services?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone know if there is a company that rebuilds the M274 mule engines? I have seen new 2A032 engines go for $650 rebuilt in crate from Saturn, but not sure if the genset engine is the same as the mule engine, despite the 2A032 nomenclature similarity.

Reason I am asking is I found a source of a couple beater M274s, relatively complete for $1000 each, but the engines are non-running and probably shot. Interested in getting one for myself, but don't have the correct tools or time to rebuild it - too many projects already.

JDToumanian

Several companies offer rebuilt or NOS engines...

Bill Watson - $1100 http://www.m274mule.com/home.html

Military Mules of America - $1700 http://www.mechanicalmulesofamerica.com/index.html

B.T.W. - it's the 2A042 you want... the A032 series is different and won't work. The 2A042 genset engines can be used, and if you have a complete mule engine to use as a parts donor it is the most economical way to go. If your mule's engine has been stripped, converting a genset engine will get expensive fast! I bought a genset engine for my mule, and I'll be working on it this winter... Basically, the engine needs to be stripped down to the "long block". All brackets, air cooling shrouds, fan, pulleys... even the oil pan, must be removed as the mule parts are different. There may be even more differences...

Dave Walker told me there's a magazine article showing exactly how it's done, and I'd like to find it / get a copy... Anyone know?

Jon

JDToumanian

Dave Walker told me there's a magazine article showing exactly how it's done, and I'd like to find it / get a copy... Anyone know?
...Answered my own question... It's MV Mag #55 from back in the mid 1990s.

Jon

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bill Watson has them outright. Great motors. I have one in mine, great product looks NOS and if you have an issue he will bend over backwards trying to help you fix it regardless of what the problem/question is. Bill is the BEST supplier I have ever met! How many people send you the parts(even an engine) before you pay for it? :shock:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, there are alot of minor differences in the mule and gen motors. However, you could make the gen motor work but not worth the extra $$ to deal with it.

JDToumanian

It would indeed be nice to drop $1300 with shipping for a nice new engine from Bill Watson, but that is not an option for me. It's definitely worth the effort for me to rebuild my mule's engine using a 2A042 long block - I will save $900+ and enjoy building my own engine which will be as-new when finished.

I should add that when I bought my mule, the seller included a new fuel pump, carburetor, governor, and engine gasket set... and I got my 2A042 new in the crate very cheaply... more reasons why I'm committed to building my own.

Jon

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No dice, guys - got the call on Friday, the two mules have been sold. Damn, that was fast! Guess I'm gonna have to keep wishing to own a mule!

monighan

Day late dollar short -story of my life for most things like everybody else aua . I'm very happy I was able to snatch my A5 up last month.You should have not hesitated and grabed it ,the hell with the engine! Anyhow,I can't wait till friday when we go to deer camp so we can cruise around on my Mule :driver: . Mine's been getting a nice workout at camp hauling building supplies into the woods to work on tree stands.

surpdlr

hndrsonj said:
Oh, there are alot of minor differences in the mule and gen motors. However, you could make the gen motor work but not worth the extra $$ to deal with it.
Would you elaborate on this comment????

I have switched about 8 Genset motors to mule motors and found it to be a very simple process.
Takes an afternoon with both of them on the work bench. (As stated above, in an other post you NEED to have a donor Mule motor to make it simple)

One big benefit is that the newer Genset motors (normally in a crate) have the upgraded spin on oil filter!!

Plus when you are done you have a bunch of Genset parts to sell, Like the electric starter, at least you do if I sell the Genset motor to you

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The differences are not in the long block assy, it is in all the bolt on accessories/parts. Mags and the hard to find mule ducting are two that come to mind. I got my motor complete from oil pan to the data plate. You can't tell any piece from new it is that nice from Bill Watson. I could have gotten a gen motor for $650 but I paid $900 for the mule motor ready to drop in. To me, it is absolutely worth the extra $350 it cost over a gen motor. My origional plan was to rebuild mine but found the block cracked and when started looking for a replacement block to rebuild it did not seem worth it after seeing bill's motors (especially if your ducting is bad/missing).

JDToumanian

I see your point... I'd probably have done the same thing, but the price disparity was much greater in my case... Bill Watson's price (per his website) is now $1100 for a mule engine, plus figure another $200 or so for shipping. I got my new genset engine for $350 and have everything I need to convert it. Hard to justify an extra $900 to avoid, as surpdlr states, "an afternoon of work."

Jon

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where did you get the gen motor? I could use one for my 5KW. Or was it an ebay or such??

JDToumanian

It was a one-off deal, but I'm pretty sure Dave Walker still has some for ~$500... A good deal especially for anyone in Southern California since it can be picked up to avoid shipping.

gbooth

I have done the Gen set to Mule engine swap it is not difficult. I did find out something interesting that Gen set motor is a 10hp as apposed to a pure mule motor at 14 hp was told the crank is different.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks