• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mep 003 Fuel Pumps

RJM27

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No problem on spending $1000's probably 10,000;s of thousands on fuel pumps when they can be fixed...at least for the gumming up/ stuck plunger issue. Its the simplest pump in the world. An electro magnet pulls a small plunger up and a small spring returns... repeat...over and over. Mine's out there exercising right now a year later after cleaning.

Ok from what I can remember...so don't hold me to all of it. Remove pump from generator then turn off the bottom that has hex nut on it. Inside is a small basket type filter, remove. After that is a small clip that holds the plunger and spring in place [again if memory serves me correct] Take that out. Up inside that well where the clip is a small plunger and spring. Mine was stuck so had to mess with it to get it out. I used carb cleaner [2+2] and finally fine emory cloth as it was so nasty. Inside the the well where it goes I used a piece of solid rod [could use wooden dowel] with a slit in it and emory cloth and then a piece of cloth with 2+2 on it. So far Ive fixed 4 pumps this way. I will tell you, on the one generator that the fuel tank had such heavy varnish, I had to clean those pumps about every 2 months even with new clean fuel, I replaced the tank and no issues since. Hope all that makes sense, since its been awhile since Ive had it apart.
To test, you can just shake pump back and forth and here the plunger moving back and forth. You can just hold your finger over the well to test the freeness of the plunger. it should bounce freely on spring. If it doesn't, clean again.
AWESOME will give it a shot now that I have 4 NOS backups!!!!! ��

F18hornetM

Might not be your problem but doesn't hurt to try, especially if pump is not making any sound. Wish I could remember better details but have slept since then.. LOL
Good luck..

rustystud

I was going by Intel supplied in our WIKI

Fuel Pumps

Facet Fuel Pumps are listed HERE

In particular you want PN 480517E
That is the Mil-Spec'd Pump.

Other 24 V pumps from Facet that will work are: 40010E, 477003E, 40128E & 480563E BUT

40010E & 477003E have 1/8-27 Internal Threads. You will need an adapter to make it 1/4-18 external threads to mate with the hoses. They CAN be used as direct replacements for 480517E. They do not have Positive Shut-off Valves.

40128E Has a Positive Shut-off Valve, but does have 1/4-48 external threads. It CANNOT be used in series with another pump.

480563E Has a Positive Shut-off Valve and 1/4-18 internal threads. Requires an adapter to convert to external threads. It CANNOT be used in series with another pump.

Some pumps have "Positive Shut-off Valves" to prevent siphoning. The mil-spec pump does not have that. So, they should NOT be used as a series pair. (Original Military design) If one of these pumps fails, it will shut-off the fuel. The mil-spec pump does not have a shut-off valve and therefore, if one of the two pumps dies, the other pump will continue to pump fuel through it. IF you want to maintain redundancy with pumps that have the shut-off valve, they can be plumbed in parallel.

Do not use pumps with Positive Shut-off Valves with a pump that does not have one. BAD THINGS CAN HAPPEN.

These units will work just fine with one pump. Keep the second one on the shelf as a ready spare.
Good job !

Guyfang

Staff member
[QUOTE=No problem on spending $1000's probably 10,000;s of thousands on fuel pumps when they can be fixed...

When you are in an air defence unit, watching the skies, and things are starting to get sticky, how much time do you have to remove, repair, test and replace a pump?

When you are in a artillery tracking unit, and trying to triangulate the incoming fire before it kills people or destroys your unit, how long do you have to remove, repair, test and replace a fuel pump?

I grant you, its not always going to be like that in real life. But often the cost of a repair, and time needed for said repair exceed the cost of a new part. Plus, the military doesn't need to maintain a supply system full of parts that are low density usage.

You see it from a much different aspect, then the military.

RJM27

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Copy that! Glad to have 4 NOS PLUG & PLAY Back ups, for new adventures as well. Will try and R&R the old one, now that Ivan defend against Murpheys Law!

F18hornetM

No problem on spending $1000's probably 10 said:
~Just to clarify my aspect on the military, not that it should even be part of this discussion on fuel pumps, About 30 years ago I spent 4 years humping the earth wearing Marine Corps green.
I also have spent a life time repairing equipment that puts peoples lights back on after storms for a living and know the difference between ready stand by parts and waste. I would definitely want good spare parts in a situation such as you describe. But we both know, 90% of the time the situation is not as you described. And we both know military/govt waste is horrible

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
Your right, and so am I. 98% of the time, time is not of essence. But you got to plan for the worst, hope for the best.

I used to go to the DRMO "junk yard" every wednesday. We looked for things turned in, that our unit was short of, or could use. The waste of money that I witnessed there was heart breaking.

RJM27

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I find myself doing same and or similar, just not paying what the Govt paid for OEM parts. I'm glad we can purchase military spec and built equipment and get them up and running. I know my family is good to go.:jumpin:
I do appreciate everyone's help and assistance!!!!!
Bob

F18hornetM

We did same thing as you, even picking up used tires :whistle: and putting them back on the trucks. Do whatever it takes I suppose.
Those are tough generators for sure !!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks