• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce brake line repair

uriss

Trying to search the TM for help and or diagram for the front driver wheel brake line. Trying to replace the hose but in true military fashion the previous mechanic bitched the heck out of the brake line fitting. I broke one side loose and got the mounting bracket off but in a quandary as to remove the line at the next fitting. Don't really want to try vise grips as there isn't much room to get in there. Any suggestions for a man with a bad back trying to wrestle a Deuce into submission?

What I am trying to find out is how the steel line is routed going into the wheel? If I break it is it a major hassle to repair?

Last edited:

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Brake line attaches directly to the brake cylinder w/ a banjo fitting. To change the cylinder, the wheel and hub/drum assembly comes off. Not a job for a bad back.

Kaiser67M715

are your trying to replace the hose that goes to the wheel? or the steel line that runs from the "t" by the front driveshaft to the hose that connects to the front wheel?

the hose attaches to the wheel cylinder by a banjo bolt, then to the bracket, and finally the steel line threads into the hose. it sounds like you have the bracket off, so you probably already did this. on the banjo bolt you can use a six sided socket and ratchet.

as for the "t", a pair of vise grips can be used to prevent the "t" from turning as you use an actual flare wrench on the line(a good one, the cheapos from autozone will NOT work on stubborn flare nut)

I believe a 5/8" wrench will fit snugly over the "t" as well to prevent it from turning(prying on the "t" will cause the bracket to bend and in some cases break it off.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
.......................... What I am trying to find out is how the steel line is routed going into the wheel? If I break it is it a major hassle to repair?
Sounds like you still have the early style brake line? If so you should try to find the parts to convert to the later style upgrade.
The early style brake hoses are very short and subject to relatively high flexing.

Below are extracts of the TMs trying to explain the difference...

G.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks