Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Brutus' debut

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vtdeucedriver View Post
    About 5 yrs ago I asked the guy who built Brutus how he painted it..........He is no longer with us now but I still have the info.
    Are you talking about Wayne Prescott? Roger said Wayne originally painted it OD.
    When Roger left in November 1970, it was still OD.
    When Dave Perrine served in 1971, it was black. Roger thinks the color change happened shortly after he left in 11/70. Roger decided to paint the replica Brutus black as that's what most guys remember the color as.

~Robert
    Mechanic for the Military Veterans Museum and Education Center, Oshkosh, WI.
    Like us on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/MVMEC

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dogtags For This Useful Post:

Another Ahab (06-26-2017)

Thanks

I am talking about Wayne. Nope, on the OD. Wayne had it all black with an OD green mix. The gun box was removed in early 69 and installed on another chassis. This is where it went from a non- drop side to a drop side truck. Gun box remained Black/OD mix but truck was never painted and remained a factory original OD green Semi-gloss OD and that's how Roger drove it with the shortened exhaust stack. The truck was still OD green when Jimmy Callison was lost on Nov 21, 1970. The truck was repaired and armament changes were made but never painted. This is where the mini gun was moved to the center of the box and a single aft .50 cal was added at the rear. The new driver named Ron made some detail changes to it but he was only on it for 3 months until they lost Larry in Feb. It was then of early 71 when the truck was completely painted gloss black to match the other GT's in the platoon and the final armament changes were made by adding the 2nd .50 to the rear mount and moving the single mini to one wall and adding the 2nd one to the opposite side. Only 71-72 and the 68 crews remember it all black. 69-70, the truck was very distinct and well, I am back to my project once again after a nasty divorce and it will reflect how Brutus looked on Nov 20, 1970 the day before Jimmy was lost.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to vtdeucedriver For This Useful Post:

Another Ahab (06-26-2017)

Thanks

Wow VERY COOL! I know Vern and heard he made the trip out There! He told he me wants to make a tribute truck and has one for the project, but work gets in the way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Its Just How I Roll!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2