• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M105A2 Wheel/ Hub Conversion

EZDUZITBEAR

Apologies in advance if someone has already covered this, but I'm not having any luck with my searches...

:?: How difficult is a hub conversion on an M105 trailer so that civilian wheels and tires can be run on it? Also, what all is entailed? If this has already been discussed, a link would be greatly appreciated.

By the way, a couple of things have changed on the homefront, and it looks as though the M105 I listed on Craigslist may be staying at the fort for awhile. :D That is why I'm enquiring about the changeover.

Thanks in advance! 8)

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
I havent found any adapters in my research. It seems the easiest thing to do is just swap in a regular truck axle. A GM 14 bolt rear end should just about bolt in based on my preliminary measurements. Do a search for "M105 axle" and it should bring up this same subject.

papercu

trailer

What vehicle will you be using to pull it with? It would be better to match the same size tires to the truck in most cases.
I believe the Isuzu rims will fit
The new A3 models have a 22.5 rim but they carry their own spare. I'm not sure if the bolt patten is the same.
Manufacturer..... Pribbs Steel & Mfg., Inc.
Number (Including Spare).....3
Rim Size........7.5 x 22.5 in. (19 x 57 cm)
Number of Studs .6

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: trailer

were there not some 6-hole budd wheels made in 16.5 size? I thought I had seen them on delivery box trucks.

EZDUZITBEAR

Thanks, a couple more great suggestions.

I'll be towing it with a '95 Ford F150 w/ upgraded towing package. Only short distances (50 miles or less) and relatively straight and level. The main reason for changing the wheels will be replacement costs and ease of maintenance. I can work around the "look" as long as it doesn't look like it has "trailer wheels", no offense to anyone intended.

Thanks again.

chevycrew

Hopefully you wont be pulling this trailer with anything in it.

The trailer alone is about 2650lbs, with no civilian style brakes.

Just downright scary if you tow it loaded.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you have a couple of choices here. You could adapt a surge brake setup to the tongue and simply have hydraulic surge brakes. Or, you could do a complete axle swap. You could get a new electric brake axle from some where like TSC or Northern. Or, you can buy a Deuce and tow it as is. Each way has it's positives and negatives. Good Luck

pg2014

similar question on the wheels

I realize this is an old post, but my question is similar - I am pulling a just purchased M105 behind a 1 ton 93 ford dually. Even after putting the pintle as high as i can, and reversing the lunette ring to the down position, I am still towing with the trailer at an angle.

I'm planning on using this to move hay and dirt on the farm with atractor and down the street with the truck , and would like to avoid switching out the axle.

I wouldn't mind getting out of the split rims, and I'm looking to come down in profile another 2-3 inches by having thinner tires. Does anyone know for sure what civillian wheels will fit the M105?

Many thanks!
Peter

pg2014

Thanks for that Acmunro! I would not have thought 17.5 would clear the drum, but based on your say so, I'll track some rims down and give it a try.

Peter

Nick

I think you are in big trouble if you just use replacement wheels and tires. Your state DMV/CHP will get you..........in CA it is not legal to tow a trailer that weighs over 1500lbs without having trailer brakes. This was copied from the DMV page

Trailer Brakes
In California, brakes are required on any trailer coach or camp trailer having a gross weight of 1500 lbs. or more. Usually the braking capacity on tow vehicles is good, however, it may not be good enough to safely stop the several hundred to several thousand additional pounds that your trailer weighs. Most conventional and fifth-wheel trailers have electric brakes, activated by a controller in the tow vehicle. The controller automatically coordinates the tow vehicle and trailer braking so the two systems work together when the brake pedal is applied.

Here is that page. Other types of trailers are covered on this site also but generally all trailers over 1500lbs need brakes as I read it. I think in most states the max is between 1500 and 3000 (load included). So in most states if you have something in the M105 trailer there is a good chance you will be over the 3000lb max limit anyway.

Towing Your Trailer Safely

So, with that in mind, living in Ca and not knowing that, the plan for my M101 is to pull it behind my 1948 Power Wagon, which isnt known for its braking power.

So, is it possible to put a surge brake system on a trailer with hand brake levers, AND still be able to use it as a dump trailer?? Whats involved in that??

Thanks
Nick

acmunro

Swaping the components from an M101A2 with the newer 8 lug wheel axle would be the easiest way, but the the wheels would be different than your trucks. As far as backing up and dumping you would have to lock out the action of the surge hitch. (Brakes would be applied dumping anyway so really not necessary) Some units have that feature - I don't think the M101A2 does but I think you can clamp it in such a way to lock it out. Never tried it on mine, but have heard that will work. I guess the real problem is the M101 and M101A1 doesn't have wheel cylinders on the brakes. I have never been into them so I dont know how much trouble it would be to add wheel cylinders. I guess anyting is possible with enough time and money. Now you have me thinking about the trailer I am going to pull behind my M-37.

Nick

For me changing axles and wheels isnt an option, everything matches my Power Wagon to a t. So I can use the same rims and tires on the truck or trailer. That was a key point in me getting the trailer.

Guess Ill just hafta be aware and not load the trailer too much so as to out weigh the brakes on the truck.

Thanks for the info. If theres an easier way, im interested.

Nick

laggy

one of the things im trying to find is an electric over hydraulic brake setup. they use them on boat trailers and can be kinda spendy. which im sure why most ppl just change the axle. but if u can find one cheap they work with most standard brake controllers. im trying to find one for my M105 then get some smaller rims/tires and be "good"

JGary

Do the Hummer HI 16.5 wheels fit the M105A2? I hope that this will work as these hubs (12 or 24 bolt - 8 lug) can easily be purchased for about $50/each. Thanks!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks