• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Was Broke down in Redlands Ca. Phoenix AZ to San Francisco 800miles

Nick02

Well the time has come.
I decided to take a senior level engineering job in SF, I am leaving tomorrow (wed the 31st) and driving the MK48 swapped 5 ton with my Solid Axle swapped Dakota in tow.

Super scared but hopefully I will make it there ok, still running the stock air dryer, alternator and the engine has some blow by out of the dipstick tube and breather on long trips... fingers crossed! Plan is to split it between two days to allow the truck to cool and be happy.

Once in SF I will be living in the truck in Hayward for the next year or so, gonna be a change but the opportunity is great!

Nick02

Had to leave a day late. 200 miles in and things are not going good. The truck is throwing oil out from the crank breather and around where the head meets the block on the left side of the engine. I can't figure out where it is coming from. Truck is lost a couple quarts. Running cool and not smoking or consuming coolant. Can't see any leaks when at WoT at the truck stop or at idle but oil is bubbling where the head meets the block.

Nick02

Made it another 100 miles but the headlamp harness decided to short out so no lights! Had to stop for the night. Truck is running ok but keeps throwing oil out like crazy. A quart every 70 miles. I have a friend with a shop in running springs so I am going to try and limp it there in the morning

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good luck with the trip. I'm near Sacramento if you need any help but your still quite a bit away from Nor Cal. If I can help, let me know.

Nick02

I think I found the problem. It's really, really bad. The input bearing on the transfer are caught on fire from friction. The truck is 100% disabled and will need the driveshafts pulled. I am 40 miles away from my buddy's shop. Should I find a heavy wrecker or does anyone have a wheel lift? I have no towbar attachments on the front

Nick02

Well, found the problem. The transfercase ate its input bearing. Thing basically caught on fire. I am stuck on the side of the I10 outside of Palm Springs. Do any of you guys know of a wrecker that can come out here? I have no towbar attachment points on the front. It would need to be a wheel lift. My number is 602 541 6704

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
BUMP,
Well, found the problem. The transfercase ate its input bearing. Thing basically caught on fire. I am stuck on the side of the I10 outside of Palm Springs. Do any of you guys know of a wrecker that can come out here? I have no towbar attachment points on the front. It would need to be a wheel lift. My number is 602 541 6704

Nick02

Cool, got it towed to my buddy's property in the Redlands. 37mile tow was only $600 so I am happy. The tcase input is all screwed up and bent, I will post a video soon.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Sucks to hear this happened, at least you made it to a familiar shop. We're all pullin for ya, is that a true mk48? I must be missing something.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Get ahold of Wildboy6x6. He is up in the Newark area around San Fran. He has a M984 HEMTT wrecker. Maybe for what all it will cost you on parts for now maybe you can get him to tow you to San Fran so you can work on it over time.

If I was nearby I would tow it all the way there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks