• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FMTV Battery hook up diagram

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went to the truck today and I am starting to understand what you are saying.
The problem is I don't know which leads are positive and which leads are negative.
The only wires that are color coded seem to dead end at the NATO plug.

I am trying to lift the cab (hand pump) to trace things out but I have a nut that is leaking fluid hydraulic. It is a huge nut located between the cab and the bed. I tried to tighten it but it has a whole in the center that allows fluid to leak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R5mtn0KAFo

If you watch this video pause it at the 13 sec mark.....the nut in the middle of picture is leaking fluid. Sorry for the confusing description. How do I stop this from leaking so that I can raise the cab and get the battery wiring figured out.

Thanks
Read this:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...V-PM-not-covered-in-TMs&highlight=critical+pm

deshet

NDT Thanks a ton for the link to the repair for the latch cylinder. I learned what it is and how to repair it.

Suprman I will take some pictures of the battery box and post today.

I do have this one of the removed battery connections. (they look like inter-connects running between batteries)

battey connections.jpg

Thanks,

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Closest to the bus looks like the ground cable, would have to see a better pic of the 3rd though, next one in is the 12v that bridges the batts.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your picture shows all the cables needed to connect the 4 OEM batteries. Since you wish to use 31s, all those cables can be put aside. At the left rear of the box is a short cable. That is +24 volts. At the right rear is a longer cable, it is +12 volts. The longest cable is the negative lead to ground. TRACE THIS ONE OUT!! Leave the cables going to the slave connector off for now. The battery box cover won't fit with 31s.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hold off until someone can give you the cable numbers that go where. I'm not near a truck or TM.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The NEGATIVE cable on my '98 LMTV has a band with TL48 stamped on it. The +12 volt cable has a band with TL99 stamped on it. The TWO +24 volt cables are short and obviously can only reach to the post on the left rear battery. Hope that helps.

deshet

I am new to 24 volt systems. I am trying to wire everything up correctly. Does it matter which of the 24 volt leads goes to the positive lead on the first battery and which one goes to the negative lead of the other battery?

Does the ground wire go to the starter?

Thanks,

deshet

The drawing on the first page is somewhat helpful but it doesn't show enough detail especially when you don't have existing batteries.

2017-02-09 08.33.14.jpg

FlashAnnotate.jpg

I am trying to install two group 31 batteries. (Removing 2 batteries)

I am getting confused because the pictures shows the 12 volts wired in series instead of the 24 volts.

Let me know if the hand drawing is correct for two batteries?

Thanks

coachgeo

The drawing on the first page is somewhat helpful but....
View attachment 665923
Having what kind of truck you have in your signature would be helpful, or at least remind is what truck you have each time. Are you dealing with an A0 or an A1 (that is the A1 diagram). Battery arrangement same between two but more items tied to it at the box to deal with.

Last edited:

Uberlandwerks

I Had two batteries and I am wanting to go back to the original 4 battery system. I don't know what wires go where as I have 4 wires. Also there was no way to keep the batteries tied down. It would be helpful to see a photo of how the proper hold down and where the wires go. Here is what my box currently looks like.
Thanks!IMG_0072.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks