Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: 1944 Federal 606 C2 Wrecker

Thanks

Brian, thanks very much for posting ! I have been searching for some history on the Matt's Garage truck without much luck. I did have one of the Hamiliton's contact me through Facebook and he had an old photo of the truck, but it was taken after the boom was removed. He is looking for more photos. Hopefully he will find one with the boom. Thank you for saving and preserving this truck, I really like it. I'd like to continue out conversation through email, I will send you a PM.

Karl, thanks for the encouraging words. I have another truck to restore before this one but I plan to fully restore one of these in full military gear.

Here are a few videos: EDIT: I guess the youtube links no longer work here ?? Search youtube for "Federal 606".

Federal 1943 606 Matt's Garage Matthew Thompsonhamilton FB.jpg
    Last edited by Jeff Lakaszcyck; 04-28-2018 at 22:44.
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________

Jeff

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/Forum7.aspx

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Lakaszcyck For This Useful Post:

dmetalmiki (05-27-2019), Tracer (04-29-2018), USAFSS-ColdWarrior (04-29-2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 21,234 Times in 7,349 Posts

Just found this thread.

APPLAUSE ! Good save, Sir!

Carry on.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to USAFSS-ColdWarrior For This Useful Post:

Jeff Lakaszcyck (05-20-2018), Tracer (04-29-2018)

Thanks

Over the past several months I have been doing a little work on the red Federal. A NOS carburetor and rebuilt fuel pump has it running smoothly. I swapped the generator from the other C2, installed an NOS regulator, and rewired the charging circuit, so now it is charging like it should. A new fan bearing took the "growl" out of the engine. I took the air steering cylinder apart and cleaned it up, and it seems to be working better now. Now I need to find a good exhaust manifold as both of mine are full of cracks and leaks. A tight exhaust system and muffler would really make it sound good. It is surprising how well this truck runs, drives, and stops.

Last February my youtube video on the inertia starter had over 15000 views so it seemed that people found it interesting. So I took the red Federal to the Vintage Trucks of Florida show in Leesburg in February. It's a two hour drive so I had it hauled over on a lowboy. Folks really liked the truck. No one had seen one of the WW2 7-1/2 tonners before and they were fascinated with the inertia starter. I must have demonstrated it at least a dozen times each day of the show. A number of people told me they loved the truck and I should keep it the way it is.

So now my plans for both the Federals have changed somewhat. I had originally bought the red Federal to be a parts truck for the restoration of orange Federal C2. I still plan to do a full restoration on the orange truck. But I am going to keep the red Federal as it is, in fact I am looking for an original Gar Wood boom for it. With a boom it will make a nice yard truck, and it will not take much to make it roadworthy for a few local shows. I have newer tires, tubes, and flaps ready to go on. I want to replace the brake diaphragms and hoses as a safety measure, and there are several leaks in the drivetrain that need new seals. And I will need to install and wire some tail lights. But that is about it. Now I need another parts truck to restore the orange C2 !

Here's a few photos from the Leesburg show in February.

Federal 1943 606 Deberardinis Heavy Haul JL.jpgIMG_3967.jpgIMG_3963.jpgFederal 1943 606 inertia starter Jeff Brocky.jpgIMG_3965.jpg
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________

Jeff

http://forums.justoldtrucks.com/Forum7.aspx

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Lakaszcyck For This Useful Post:

Another Ahab (05-27-2019), dmetalmiki (05-27-2019), Tracer (05-27-2019), USAFSS-ColdWarrior (05-28-2019), Wolfen (05-27-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,602 Times in 1,307 Posts

Fantastic!. What a project. 'Hats off to you' for saving that glorious vehicle.
    DIAMOND T M20.
    M54A2 I.H. M62. wrecker
    M54A2 5 Ton (with Radio Body. ex praga command station)
    M45 530C fire truck
    M561 Gamma Goat
    1942 Ford Jeep (with underfloor tulsa winch)
    1945 Willys Jeep (with V8 flathead Engine) And now 'that' overdrive'..

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dmetalmiki For This Useful Post:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior (05-28-2019)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4