• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My MEP-803a experience

lonesouth

I was wrongly thinking that if switching a single leg of the 220, it would only see half of the load, i.e. half of the amps.

Any reason I should go with DPST instead of SPST? There is zero chance of me working on this when powered.

Last edited:

Chrispyny

Assuming the load is strictly 240v (120 per leg) and there is no neutral involved, placing a switch on one leg will be in essence turning the whole load on and off. So you would use a switch rated for the whole load.

In a 240v 2 leg circuit, each leg is 180° out of phase with the other. Try to imagine this analogy. Imagine a man on each leg. One pulling, one pushing, and they take turns 60 times a second. 2 men pushing and pulling together are stronger than 1 man pushing and pulling by himself.

A switch on one leg of a 240v circuit is in essence an open. No voltage will flow on either leg when the switch is open.

Last edited:

lonesouth

got these home saturday. Got them unload yesterday. They are in good shape, 4 new walmart batteries, crank right up with good oil pressure, appear to generate power. I haven't put a load on them yet, but they respond as expected on the gauges.

I also picked up a 50 gallon fuel tank, new take off from a diesel shop, for $60.

Loading was a breeze. The GP rep had managed to get a milsup forklift running, and was able to lift the whole trailer and drop it exactly where it needed to go on mine. Unloading wasn't too eventful. I chained the genset to a tree and drove the yellow trailer out from under it. Now to unbolt the generators.

I managed a staggering 6.8mpg on the return trip @75mph.

IMG_2417.jpg

IMG_2419.jpg

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
#4 or #6 would be appropriate for 60a depending on length. You are good on amps. Voltage drop ends up being the limitation as the leads get longer. #6 is good up to about 100' and #4 for over 100' and up to about 250'.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nope. You MAY be able to get away with that cable if its in conduit above ground (depending on the temperament of the inspector).

If you put the conduit below grade it is considered a wet location. You will need to use cable rated for wet locations. Sorry. :(

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks